Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:40 pm 

I have been looking for one for years to be able to haul all 3 bikes to the Gap and spied this trailer on the Henrico, VA Craigslist. I couldn't pass it up. A couple in thier 80s had it since 2010. They bought it from the original owner/ fabricator and used it to trailer thier BMWs around. They said it has never sat outside. They sold the bikes due to health reasons. Very nice people. They gave me an excellent deal on it and a bunch of free loot as well including a box full of tie down straps, a spare that has never been used, another box full of tricklechargers for bikes, two nice loading ramps and a grease gun and grease for the bearing buddies in the hubs. I had to change the 4 wire plug on the harness in thier driveway as they had the male female plugs opposite from my truck. One tail light didn't work and the lady of the house got her Phillips screwdriver and put in a new bulb while I was hooking it up. It is titled as a utility trailer. I towed it home at 70 MPH plus for the 100 mile trip with no problems. The tires have a 2002 date stamp on them and some small weather cracks starting so they will be replaced.

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:23 pm 

Cool Tim! (now all you need is a 3-rail bike to put on it)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:46 pm 

Nice trailer, Tim.

NOT a criticism, but, experience from tieing down road racers in the Team Kawasaki truck for a few seasons, I'd see about changing the front wheel stops to "captured" ones, with side rails to hold the front wheel straight. I always had nightmares about a bike getting loose, and on open trailers, falling off.

That trailer seems to have a good amount of other tie down rings, not bad at all

Just a phobia, I tend to go overkill when it comes to not letting stuff get out of hand during transport.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:12 pm 

Thanks!
I may end up changing the front of the rails to the chock type like I have on my 2 place trailer. I hope to have time later in the year. I am bogged down with farm work right now. Someone who is a very good welder like Adrenaline Jim Hobbs spent a lot of time figuring it out. I am hoping I can fit all 3 bikes on facing forward but I think the width of the handlebars will force me to back in the middle bike and roll in the other two. We will see. I have been researching how to service the bearing buddies installed in the hubs as it my 1st experience with them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:32 pm 

They're just bearing caps with grease fittings, really. If they're the real thing, they have a spring loaded piston that lets you pump the whole housing full of grease and keep pumping until you see the piston move out. Then it keeps pressure on the housing so water can't get in. I normally see them on boat trailers. If the bearings feel like they need service you should be able to knock out the BBs carefully and put them back in when you're done. But if they've been kept full, the bearings most likely will be in good shape and not need anything.

In your photo it looks like you even have Bearing Buddy Bras installed. Those are the black covers over the Bearing Buddies.

https://itstillruns.com/remove-bearing- ... 05816.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:58 pm 

Thanks Jim. I put about 10 pumps from the mini grease gun they gave me in each fitting before I left Richmond. I was afraid of putting too much in. They will need more grease.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:19 am 

Looks like a great trailer!!! Congats man.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:28 am 

Tim Steele wrote:
Thanks Jim. I put about 10 pumps from the mini grease gun they gave me in each fitting before I left Richmond. I was afraid of putting too much in. They will need more grease.

If you're not actually dunking it under water, once you get the pistons to move out a little you probably shouldn't refill them very often. It tends to make a mess on the inside sides of the wheels unless the seals are perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:11 pm 

I put some more grease in them this morning before work. The pistons came out a little and then a little grease came out of by the piston. Thanks for the education.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:45 pm 

If they're working right, grease shouldn't come out around the piston, or at the bearing seal, but as long as you're not dunking the axle it's probably not a big deal.