Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Just checking in
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:36 am 

BarryB wrote:
Hey Ron, if you're out of the hospital that's good news!

I remember that day Barry, we had a great afternoon. I got out of the hospital Monday night, have a problem with my right knee and lower leg.
Last weekend of June I spent the day working on fixing a water leak in one of our bathrooms. Was on my knees for about six hours. Had good pads
and thought I was fine. Five days later my right knee and lower leg swelled and and got real red. Then I got a fever so went to Urgent Care.

Was told no big deal just Knee bursitis and sent me home with antibiotics. After 10 days and no improvement went back to primary Doctor and they took
CT scans, Ultra sound, xrays and said yup Bursitis. Gave me a shot of strong antibiotics and another 10 day round of oral antibiotics. After 10 more days
no improvement. Went back again and I my doctor says she's dumbfounded that it's not improving so sent me to the ER. Keep in mind this is Kaiser,
your one stop shopping for med care. So after spending 13 hours in the Emergency room waiting for a open hospital bed they finally admitted me to the hospital.
The next morning they drew some fluid out of my knee and biopsy-ed it. Within 2 hours they came back and said they had to operate and remove the
infected tissue. They have to grow the cultures for 72 hours to know what will work to kill the infection. Was told that the bacteria I have is very
resistant and it takes six days for them to find the right drugs to stop it. So then they tell me theirs another patient in the hospital that just lost her
leg from the same type of infection but she had not gone to the doctors soon enough.

So I'm on the mend, have what they call a Picc line in my arm so I can inject the antibiotics 3 times a day for 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:44 am 

Wow Ron, some serious stuff. Get better quickly!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:10 pm 

Good to hear you got good care in time to get a handle on it.

Heal well and quickly.
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:53 am 

67lotus49 wrote:
BarryB wrote:
Hey Ron, if you're out of the hospital that's good news!

I remember that day Barry, we had a great afternoon. I got out of the hospital Monday night, have a problem with my right knee and lower leg.
Last weekend of June I spent the day working on fixing a water leak in one of our bathrooms. Was on my knees for about six hours. Had good pads
and thought I was fine. Five days later my right knee and lower leg swelled and and got real red. Then I got a fever so went to Urgent Care.

Was told no big deal just Knee bursitis and sent me home with antibiotics. After 10 days and no improvement went back to primary Doctor and they took
CT scans, Ultra sound, xrays and said yup Bursitis. Gave me a shot of strong antibiotics and another 10 day round of oral antibiotics. After 10 more days
no improvement. Went back again and I my doctor says she's dumbfounded that it's not improving so sent me to the ER. Keep in mind this is Kaiser,
your one stop shopping for med care. So after spending 13 hours in the Emergency room waiting for a open hospital bed they finally admitted me to the hospital.
The next morning they drew some fluid out of my knee and biopsy-ed it. Within 2 hours they came back and said they had to operate and remove the
infected tissue. They have to grow the cultures for 72 hours to know what will work to kill the infection. Was told that the bacteria I have is very
resistant and it takes six days for them to find the right drugs to stop it. So then they tell me theirs another patient in the hospital that just lost her
leg from the same type of infection but she had not gone to the doctors soon enough.

So I'm on the mend, have what they call a Picc line in my arm so I can inject the antibiotics 3 times a day for 3 weeks.

WFS !!!!!!!!! Man that sucks that long to finally get a line on the root cause -- and then the long fix too!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 am 

Did anyone figure out how your knee got infected? Did it start out as a cut?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:32 am 

I did have a small pin prick right where the swelling started. Infectious disease doctor told me it's a common bacteria found everywhere. Just for
some reason the antibiotics they usually use didn't touch it. Reminds me of the 1953 War of the Worlds film. Nothing could stop the aliens, but the smallest
bacteria killed them in the end. Good thing is they where able to find a antibiotic that killed the bacteria that the grew from my biopsy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:11 am 

Amazing. Yes, very good thing they found the cure in time!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:26 am 

Hope your on the mend and they get the bacteria / infection controlled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:32 pm 

Got a PM from a member today so decided to check in and see who's still here on the forum. Only have one Kawasaki in the garage, a 75 Bighorn project. Bought a Honda XR650R a few months ago,
what a hoot that monster is. Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:29 am 

Bighorn yeah! I've ridden two XR650s. One was bone stock and was a hard bike to ride. The other and some suspension work and MUCH better. Glad you're around!