Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1976 Honda CB550
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:21 am 

You're really doing some great work.....but...what's that covered up in the garage ? :think:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:11 pm 

It's my Son's Cadillac CTS-V. He has put a lot of work, (and money) into it. He is a Caddie guy and use to race local stock car stuff here in CT and always had a Caddie body. He did pretty good and won a couple championships. I finally got my Father In Law's Corvette out of that space when he walked by and thought, "Hmmm what a great Winter home for my Caddie"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:10 pm 

This took me all day. If you look at #4 you will see some rust on the linkage arm that I completely screwed up and didn't notice until I was taking the pics, maybe a senior moment? Nobody will ever see it but will I sleep tonight? The Choke Plate Screws were replaced and Loctited. I then take a side cutting pliers and create a divot in the thread on the back side to mimic the factory method, the Loctite is just for the Halibut.

I also cheated a bit and did not re-plate the 2,3,and 4 choke linkages. They were already adjusted and since they cannot be viewed I opted for some time saving as my goal was to have this rack completed today. I did however re-plate the choke actuating lever.

Honda only sells the Plate/Actuator Assembly as one part, they never meant it to be taken apart, there are 3 left on CSMNL and they are going for telephone numbers. In order to disassemble this linkage you need to drill out a pin on the right side. The problem is that you inevitably drill a too large hole for a new pin. I drilled a new 5/64 hole and put a piece of 5/64 drill bit into the hole and left it just shy of the top of the hole. I then took a punch and pinned the bit with punch marks on the Aluminum above the pin. Just to be sure I also JB Welded over the area. The original hole also got a cover of JB Weld to keep out dust and crap.

Also got some other prep work done. The peg mounts were blasted and painted, here they are hanging to dry. I got an Email Friday telling me that the Chrome had shipped and we should see it Tuesday. Busy weeks coming up and my hope is to be test running within 2 weeks, just waiting on paint which should be soon, fingers are crossed. Thanks for following my build.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:23 pm 

Lots of stuff going on, so lots of pics. The Chrome and Paint both came in this week so that sets up a lot of stuff to be assembled. First off was getting the carbs assembled to the manifolds, airbox, and air filter. All new clamps and of course a new filter. Battery box got installed at the same time.

Then came the kick stands and the rear brake linkages, along with new foot peg rubber and springs. The pins were Zinc Plated.

Opened up the David Silver Exhaust and found this guy,

The exhaust instructions were by CMSNL and were as about as useful as tits on a Bull. Since this bike came with a ratted out 4 into one I had nothing to go by for a stock look, I also had to order a David Silver stock mount kit that had these instructions, "Here is your kit, good luck" but that's OK I figured it out. What I didn't figure on was looking at the instructions and reading that they, "Suggest" you replace the rubber equalizers on the mufflers. WTF are Rubber Equalizers? I spend this kind of cash and now you are going to **** me around about a couple of pieces of rubber hose and some clamps, F-U. Went to the hardware store and got a couple of dishwasher to garbage disposal adapters and cut them down. They will work fine for now and I am ordering the correct parts but WTF.

The paint came out prefect! Wayne at K&W Custom Auto in South Windsor CT did a great job, I couldn't be happier. The color is Porsche Speed Yellow and is a great Yellow. I am letting the parts cure for a week in a heated area before I start working on them.

Yes, there are 4 side covers. I like the look of the 77-78 Side Covers and may use those. They will need some tab modification but nothing big. When Wayne saw them he said, "screw it ya got plenty of paint we'll do all four and see what you like"

Will be working on the wiring tomorrow and hopefully will be able to start the motor next weekend.

Thanks for Following Along.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:13 am 

ThX for the update.....enjoying the show...!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:29 pm 

Ric wrote:
ThX for the update.....enjoying the show...!!!

My pleasure Ric.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:50 pm 

Tried to post the same way I always have been posting for years but now the pics are are blown up? Will try again later.

Last edited by ktmguy on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:37 pm 

Tried again and I can't figure out why the pics are going super large? I am doing the same thing I always do, maybe somebody knows what I am doing wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:50 pm 

Bike is finished but still can't post pics to this site without them being too enlarged.

If you are interested you can see it here,

http://forum.netra.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 780#p27780

Thanks for viewing my build.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:08 pm 

Looked at your finished photos. Beautiful work. You're my new hero. :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next