Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:36 am 

I've gotten really board with bikes lately and decided to get an old truck. My first ride in a Chevy Napco 4x4 was way back in 1980. My girl friend at the
time's dad had a 57. I use to ride with him on Saturday mornings at the Mount Snow ski area in Vermont and he was the maintenance guy. So I was
22 then and now I'm 60. For 38 years I've wanted one of these old trucks and a few months ago started searching. Found one on craigslist in Seattle
and decided to buy it. Truck arrived yesterday and now is in my garage. Will do a full frame off restoration so that will keep me busy for a while. Early Christmas
present to myself.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:26 pm 

Neat truck. I've been delivering parts to an auto auction lately and there is one of these there. I've seen it a bunch so it must be an employees ride. Same color as yours. I don't really remember these from back in the day. I thought the truck was a modified one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:24 pm 

They where sold as 2 wheel drives and you could order the 4WD kit from Napco (North America parts Company) and the dealer or a upfitter
could install the kit in just 3 hours. GM didn't start making there own 4WD's till 1960.

http://www.napco4x4.org/history.htm

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos ... big-trucks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:14 pm 

That is a great truck, sir. Nice base to work with. What mods do you have planned for your truck?

I am still working on my truck, 1964 Chevy C30 1 ton dually flatbed. It had a blown up 292, so, I swapped in a 1965 GM 351 V6, compound low/OD 5 speed, 2 speed rear end. Added big alternator, dual batteries. power steering and power disk brakes. Still,have to work out the exhaust system. Will be a nice work truck when I finally get it done.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:34 pm 

Read the links you provided. Very interesting. I'll have to find the employee who owns the truck and ask him about it. It's there every time I go over there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
That is a great truck, sir. Nice base to work with. What mods do you have planned for your truck?

I am still working on my truck, 1964 Chevy C30 1 ton dually flatbed. It had a blown up 292, so, I swapped in a 1965 GM 351 V6, compound low/OD 5 speed, 2 speed rear end. Added big alternator, dual batteries. power steering and power disk brakes. Still,have to work out the exhaust system. Will be a nice work truck when I finally get it done.

Napco parts seem to be next to impossible to find. The steering linkage is shot, has about 1/2 a turn of the wheel play. Drove it around the block and scared
myself. Almost hit a neighbors car trying to make it go where I wanted. I think all the 2WD parts are different for the steering, need to find the Napco part
numbers. I'm thinking about doing a frame swap, 73-87 K short bed frame to gain front disc brakes, power steering, axles I can get parts. Another option
would be to keep the original frame and just change out everything. Adding a 73 and later Power steering box is easy, not a fan of the granny low 4 speed
either. I've owned three K20 80's 4WD trucks and with 205 transfer cases, great driving trucks. I think I read somewhere that the Napco transfer case turns the front driveshaft backwards compared to all other transfer cases so must be used with the Napco front axle. Lots to learn and it's going to be a big project for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:19 am 

What a beauty.
I love old 4x4s. I have had my Early Bronco for 29 years and would never part with it no matter how much money people try to throw at me. I'm sure you will get the same treatment...

1976 KZ400
1979 XS650 Cafe
1982 GPz750
2001 KZ1000P
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it; it's not really yours"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:31 am 

Yup, the stock 40 turn lock to lock,steering is fun, right out if the Clyde Crashcar driving experience. Mine will have a later 800 series power steering box.

Mine had the same walk beside it slow granny low 4 speed, friend found me a box out of something else, 5 speed with granny low and 5th gear OD. Works the trick good. I'll ask what it is, but he might not know. All I had to do to mount it was make a new threaded hole on the b/h.

Mine is a two wheel drive, though, there should be a few better options for the gearboxes in what you will find.

I love these old trucks, no matter who built them (partial to GM) they are all fun as can be.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:35 pm 

Good for you Ron!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:00 pm 

I remember decades ago, we used to install a "Brodie Knob" on the steering wheel to make it easier to spin the wheel, but Kalifornia outlawed them a long time ago, like they do all helpful things.