Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1957 Honda
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:32 pm 

I finally finished this bike, it was harder than most because there is very few spare parts available. I ended up having to either make, or have made the footrest assembly, top tree bolts, 2 of the valve cover bolts, right side cover bolts, four drain plugs, left footrest, half the side stand, choke lever, gaskets, the front brake arm, and some grommets. UPS lost the brake arm and I got ahold of Mark at The National Motorcycle Museum and he did me a great favor by taking the brake arm off the bike they have and having a mold and a wax make for me. I found a fellow in Poland that had a set of grommets and rear peg rubbers, rear pegs, and a headlight lens. The brass spoke nipples were made in Czechoslovakia and the spokes were made in Germany. The Plating House of Canada did the chrome work and Swedes Body Shop in Aberdeen SD sprayed the single stage black. I found a fellow in Ohio that does casting as a hobby and he poured it for me. It would have helped to have a service manual but I fuddled through. I got the wiring straightened out but it still won't run very well for me. It idles but won't rev up. I took the right side of the engine off yesterday and checked the valve and cam timing and it's right on. When it is idling the timing light shows good timing. I have gone through the carb about 6 times and can't find anything wrong. It is something simple and I will find it soon. I think the bike turned out okay.

I made my gaskets.
I broke off one of the cam tensioner bolts, but it came out good.
The Earls link front end was new to me.
The rear footrest assembly was a disaster, a new one was made.
I hand filed a bunch of the hardware so I could save it.
Some were bad, here I am just starting to re-profile.
Here is the brake arm in wax and done.
Choke lever.
Steering lock.

Last edited by GUTS on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 1957 Honda
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:37 pm 

Outstanding piece of work.
credit to you :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:44 pm 

Thank you Sir. I was just trying to do some cut and pasting so I wouldn't have to use the Arfcom link but I can't figure it out. :problem:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:25 pm 

If that thing has a mechanical advance, confirm it advances as it should, and, if the liquid level in the float bowl is too low, mid and top end performance will suffer drastically. Air filter ducting, and adapter on carb, OK????? Muffler, OK?????

EXCELLENT work, sir.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:03 pm 

Beautiful Work!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:22 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
If that thing has a mechanical advance, confirm it advances as it should, and, if the liquid level in the float bowl is too low, mid and top end performance will suffer drastically. Air filter ducting, and adapter on carb, OK????? Muffler, OK?????

EXCELLENT work, sir.

Thanks for the input Dave, the advance works fine, the muffler is not obstructed, I don't have an aircleaner element for it so it is drawing straight air right now but I did put a filter pod on it and it didn't change. On this pre-mono-bloc carb there is no way to set the float level that I can see. The float goes all the way to the top of the pot and then pushes the float valve up into it's seat. I checked and it is stopping the fuel flow at the top like it should. There isn't many air passages in it either and I don't think I left anything plugged. If I had a different carb I would put it on and see for sure whether it's the carb or not. Amal still makes a pre-monobloc carb that looks almost the same but I would hate to lose the original carb. Maybe I can start it up, and shoot a little starting fluid in the carb throat while it's idling and see if the rpms increase. It almost has to be the carb but I can't see anything wrong with it. I am also not familiar with Amals so I could be missing something. It's definitely something simple.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:14 pm 

Try adding UNLIT propane into the mouth of the carb off idle. That is the way we do it for everything from bike to car engines, and, it is clean. The carb is a carb, same as any carb, for every fuel circuit, there should be some sort of air corrector orifice in the inlet of the carb.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:17 pm 

Beautiful as always!

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:13 am 

Lovely bike (yes I know it is a Hondu) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:42 pm 

Does Barber Motorsports have one of those...can't recall seeing that particular bike.
Really....really nice job !!!