Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1972 kawasaki 100 G5
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:33 pm 

I am going to be cleaning and rebuilding (hopefully) the carburetor on my 1972 G5.

According to the information I have found, there are three different models for the year 1972...... models A,B,and C.

Model A uses different size jets than models B and C.

How can I tell exactly which model I have? I have the original owners manual and it does not say which model. I looked online and cannot find any information on the different models but in the repair manuals that I have, it does list the different models and the different jet sizes etc.

Carb is a Mikuni VM 19sc for all models.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: 1972 kawasaki 100 G5
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:31 am 

Typically, our Mikuni carbs have identification stamped on the body of the carb on the rear face of the choke boss. Pull the carb off the engine and look at the choke area on the engine side of the choke area, it should be there.

G5's are really a great little bike, should be a lot of fun to ride.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Pull the bowl and see what size jets are in the carb. Don't forget to pull the needle jet when you clean the carb. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:18 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
Typically, our Mikuni carbs have identification stamped on the body of the carb on the rear face of the choke boss. Pull the carb off the engine and look at the choke area on the engine side of the choke area, it should be there.

G5's are really a great little bike, should be a lot of fun to ride.

Thanks Tuner !

A 1972 G5 was the first " real " motorcycle I ever owned ..... at 14 years old. Dad bought the bike new for me.

I had SO much fun on that bike and loved it. Rode the heck out of it. Sold it when I went to college. :|

Through the years I have had many bikes but always said " if I find another 72 G5 in good shape I'm buying it". Well, I found one. Completely original down to the tires. 1330 original miles.

I have gone through the entire bike ( didn't need much ) and am down to a good carb cleaning and rebuild. Can't wait to take it for a nice ride.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:19 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Pull the bowl and see what size jets are in the carb. Don't forget to pull the needle jet when you clean the carb. :thumbup:

Thanks! Will do!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:52 am 

I just looked on the Kawasaki parts page (https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDia ... 972/G5-100) and it shows the 1972/73 G5 as the A, the 1974 as the B and the 1975 as the C. I used to have a '75 G5 and a '76 KE100. Put over 15k miles on the KE in 2 years riding around town. I know I sold both (to buy a '72 Bison) but can't remember to whom or for how much. Weird. I remember selling every other bike I have ever owned. Must have been all that second hand dope. Yea, that's it. Second hand smoke. :mrgreen: If you want to hop it up a bit a carb from an S1 fits nice. I have one on my TS90 with the motocross kit. The S1 carb works really well on the small rotary bikes.