Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:00 pm 

I'm in agreement too. The "promises" made by your old job, while they may come to be initially, would likely be subject to modification or elimination down the road...no guarantees on these extras. And even if they did guarantee them, what does that mean exactly? Because all they have to do is cite a decrease in demand, thus requiring a decrease in work needs, and you're back to square one. Take the new job and night shift, and consider any opportunities in this new job that would make you even more valuable to the company in the long run.

Be sure to invest as much as you can non-stop into whatever retirement plan is offered to you, even if it means cutting back a bit in monthly spending, taking in consideration of course your wife's health needs, because the last thing you want is to be struggling when the day comes that you do retire, and find yourself not being able to make ends meet, and worse yet, having to take a job as a senior to do so. But also be sure not to place all of your eggs in one basket - diversify where you can.

Lastly, I've heard this before - the more money you make, the more money a lot of people end up spending. They get into a comfortable "mode" of income, so that when things do tighten up a bit as you've been experiencing, all of a sudden you can't afford a lot of things that you're used to. So whether you end up making the same or better pay than you're used to, again, scale back where you can and put it into your retirement, whether at work or through a trusted bank or investment company, or both.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:19 pm 

Gut feeling is change....

My step-father was a linotype machinist most of his life but the change from melting lead to computers all but killed it for him.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:41 pm 

Definitely a dilemma - I've been in printing 35 years + 4 years of polytechnic degree before that. The trade has certainly changed (and declined) but for me it's still interesting - every job we do (almost), is a custom manufactured product. We just invested $1.5 million (CDN) in a digital UV inkjet press which runs 8 page format at 3,000 sheets per hour. Hard to believe it, but there is room for growth in print. A lot of people assumed book printing would never recover from the invention of readers such as Kindle...but actually...people like print. It's hard for owners to make good money anymore but it's out there. Good luck to you whatever you decide!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:21 pm 

Decide to take the new start or betting on the desperate offer to stay?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 am 

This is an old thread by now, but I wanted to check in for an update, and to thank everyone for the thoughtfull replies.

I did take the new job, Ive been there 14 months now and it is working out well. I am learning a lot of new skills. I really lucked out in that even after 23 years in a trade, I was able to make a change. I am working on reclassifying to a higher grade in their system and that will come with a nice raise as well, that should happen later this year. I have also been back to the old place from time to time, sort of my part time job. No regularity to it, they just text me when they get a really tough job that fits my skills.... the frequency is falling off, but it's nice to go down and see everyone once in a while and make some extra money.

1972 S2 350, 1972 F9 350 Bighorn, 1975 KX400, 1981 YZ465, 1980 XT500 (Built for MX) , 1987 KD80, 1995 MZ Skorpion, TTR 125, 1994 KDX200 , 1978 Mobylette, 1985 KX350R-F91m (Frankenstein) and a Doodle Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:21 am 

BarryB wrote:
Gut feeling is change....

My step-father was a linotype machinist most of his life but the change from melting lead to computers all but killed it for him.

Wow! My great grandfather was a Linotype man, he had a bald patch on his head where the lead had splashed onto him. At my old job, we had a Linotype on display along with a bunch of other old machines. Theres a video on youtube that shows how they work, an old training film and it is fascinating to me.

1972 S2 350, 1972 F9 350 Bighorn, 1975 KX400, 1981 YZ465, 1980 XT500 (Built for MX) , 1987 KD80, 1995 MZ Skorpion, TTR 125, 1994 KDX200 , 1978 Mobylette, 1985 KX350R-F91m (Frankenstein) and a Doodle Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to hear you feel the job change was a "positive" thing!
Here's wishing you well for the future :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:04 am 

Good for you 2stroke and good luck!

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 am 

Thank you for the update, 2stroke. It's nice to hear that it worked out OK and that you're happier now.