Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1945 Champion OB
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:52 am 

Several weeks ago, my father-in-law gave me a 1945 Champion Blue Ribbon outboard motor, 4.2 HP. He is lightening his load as he gets older. He said he had it running not too long ago, just cleaned the fuel strainer and it cranked right up. Well, I found out that "not too long ago" was in the 50's! The fuel strainer was pretty much gone and I had to drill it out. This thing has been a real mess. Bugs, dead mice, corrosion, goo, varnish, etc. I hope to have it running today. I am not doing a total restoration (at least not at this time), just getting it cleaned and operable for him to see. There are no manuals to be had on this thing, but it is pretty simple. It is direct drive, meaning, if the piston is moving, so is the prop. I will post some pictures and maybe a video when it is running.

75 H1
78 CB400II Hawk
78 KE175

Post subject: Re: 1945 Champion OB
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:15 am 

There seems to be quite a bit of information and parts available, Steve. I found one place that has the owner's manual. I have a 1936 Evinrude Elto Ace. Maybe we should bring some boats for the river next DG meet. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:24 pm 

Thanks Jim. I guess I was looking for that free pdf of the manual that I could not find. ;) I guess I can buy one if needed. So far, I don't see any parts I need except a knob for the fuel valve (not real important) and I may find I need a water pump impeller, but I have not pulled it yet. I saw some knobs on ebay. I cut new gaskets for the carb bowl and flange. I was going to set the points at 8 deg BTDC at slow speed. It looks like the throttle advances the timing by ~ 8 degrees. This has been an interesting adventure. I hope to fire it up tomorrow morning. It does not appear to have any kind of air filter, and no way to fix one.
I would have to find a boat to mount it to otherwise I'd just be making noise at the Gap. :lol:
I'd like to see your 36' Evinrude. I bet it is neat.

75 H1
78 CB400II Hawk
78 KE175

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:48 pm 

My Elto has a piston type water pump that uses a cam on the drive shaft and a return spring, so there's no rubber impeller to go bad. The piston gets stuck if it's been sitting around too many years, so you have to tap on the little pump with a plastic mallet and it starts pumping. There is no throttle, it's always wide open. The speed control is the spark advance lever, and you can retard it to near TDC and it will run very slowly. For reverse, you move the lever past TDC, wind the rope around the flywheel the other way, and start it running backwards. The engine couldn't care less which way it's going.

This isn't my photo, but it's pretty representative:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:40 am 

Here it is running. If you listen closely, you can hear it blowing back through the carburetor every now and then. Other than that, it seems to run pretty well. it goes away at medium to slow speed, I believe this has a rotary valve that is like a drum with a window through it. My guess is the rotary valve is either out of time or not sealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTwaG9g ... e=youtu.be

Now to find a boat....

75 H1
78 CB400II Hawk
78 KE175

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:25 am 

Nice!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:11 am 

Our 1967 Chrysler 55 does that at low throttle and has since it when it was new. Yours may be running normally. If I remember right, we could get rid of it by adjusting the carb's idle mixture a little richer, but the tradeoff was fouling plugs faster when putting around at low throttle.