Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: WTF Suzuki ts250 carb
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:57 pm 

This has me stumped a bit, and I wonder if anyone has seen this before.
Carb from a Suzuki ts250 1979 28mm VM Mikuni.
It has the air screw and it has a fuel metering screw from what I can tell.
None of the part fiche or manuals show the screw on the bottom???

Figure I would ask here.
No one else I have have asked can tell me WHY and then, how do you set the pilot circuit with two ways to meter it?
Best advice so far leave the bottom screw out a couple turns and tune it like a regular VM.

But maybe there is something I am missing and belive it or not I always get the best advice on the triples boards even about other stuff!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:03 pm 

That is what is known as a "transition carb", and Kawasaki had them on some of their 4 strokes over the years. and some few two strokes, very few.

Look at the air screw boss, it has a notch, clearly seen in the picture. this notch should end up with the screwdriver slot lined up with it, when the screw is set right. Someplace in Suzuki speak there is an air screw basic setting for that screw. AS AN EXAMPLE ONLY, as we do not now the actual spec as of yet, lets say the screw setting specification is listed as 1- 1/4 turns out from lightly bottomed. Lightly bottom the screw, and unscrew it 1 - 1/4 turns, and to the closest line, line the screwdriver slot up with the notch. That adjustment is done, leave it there, you cannot make the engine run better with a different setting, this fixes the set idle air corrector jet size.

From there, you will make all idle mixture adjustments with the fuel screw on the intake side of the body, from the bottom, and, there should be a specification for it as well, a starting point. Adjust until the engine likes its idle, not too rich, not too lean.

I have heard of only one instance where the air screws on this type of carb needs to be completely closed, but it isn't a Suzuki, nor a Kawasaki.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

You can't get to the fuel screw when the carb is installed. Plug the fuel screw and adjust like a regular carb.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:10 pm 

Yep no getting to the fuel screw once the carbs are on… but at least now I have a bit of info on them.
The strangest part is the fact that I cannot find the screw mentioned anywhere in manuals or parts lists or pictures.
Interesting carbs.

The bike is fun and runs ok, it needs some TLC , and now it needs more! My son who figured since he had a whole 6 ro 8 hrs driving time in his entire life, thought he should do a GP style turn in our subdivision on the street and slid it down the road a ways, gave himself some road rash and bent it up a bit.
:roll:
No big deal, he's fine an the bike was no masterpiece, hope he Learned a lesson.
He is itching to get the parts bent back in shape and continue to learn to ride.
I am making him take a basic learners course this summer, by the time I was his age I had been riding for 6 years and I dont think I ever heard of a motorcycle course until I was well into my 30's.

Its been a great blessing for me to have him interested and wanting to learn how to work on them and ride them :thumbup:
Just want him to be safe rider!