Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:12 pm 

Having tired of struggling on my knees on the cold floor, I started to look around the internet for tire changing solutions. Armed with some welding skills and an iron monger close by, I decided to build my own. I didn't want to have some honkin' big platform to store and I needed a solid mount platform, so I did the same thing I did for my tubing bender, used my hitch insert on my vdhicle as my "platform". Found a 13 in. rim at the neighbors, found my H.F. bumper hitch receiver mount and commenced to fabricating. The photos pretty well tell the story. I did buy the dismounting tip online, pretty much made everything else.

MAN, does it work nice! No more struggling against anything, it just flat works, even on the S3's tires that had been mounted for over 40 yrs! I was fortunate to have some 1/4" UHMW to make the mounting tip liner and to fasten to the bottom of the thread-screw down rim holder, so it wouldn't mar anything.
Oh, and because I need to change tires when it's cold outside...I made a receiver mount to bolt to some 2x4 shelving in my garage. Sorry about the rust and dust, it was out in my pole shed for most of the winter, and then I brought it in to use and then it sat by my miterbox saw and got dusty.
The rim hold down is a 3/4" floor flange with a 5/8's in. nut welded on the bottom. Then I cut a piece of 1/4" UHMW with a hole saw to cover the base and protect the wheel bearing, etc.
Here are the photos:
So here's the fully adjustable in and out adn up and down- built in bead breaker... that works fantastic:

Oh ya, I bored a hole thru the bead breaker lever arm so it would fold down over the wheel center threaded rod, so I could put it down all the way, run the hold-down "nut"/ lever pivot over it so I could use it as a carrying handle. Otherwise it was like this old boy from Miss. told me a long time ago. Picking it up was like tryin' to help a fat lady out of a swimmin' pool. You'd like to help...but you don't know where to grab! I guess I could mount it on some easily removable wheels so I could roll it around?

Here's with Rim in place. Need to make an adapt. for smalller than 5/8" redi-bolt, as it won't fit thru a front wheel bearing!

Mounting tip, which I bought online for like $15 and is THE KEY to an easy dismount! Got it here: http://no-scufftiretool.com/Tiresetup.html

Re-mount tip with UHMW surface to protect rim and tires.

Base mount and the way it easily adjusts in and out on the insert tube to accomodate almost any sized tire/rim combo.

Last edited by 4 Dog knight on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: DIY Tire changer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:44 pm 

:thumbup:

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"