Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:21 am 

Ok, if I understand correctly, there is only a point gap adjustment, and no separate timing adjustment, only vary the gap to see the timing?

If that is so, the .035 is purely an arbirary start point for timing adjustment, just like most all of the magneto systems on single cylinder bikes of the next era.

You are dead on about NOT "dressing" points. All point faces are tungsten coated, to retard premafure lloint contact face erosion/pitting. File/dress them, wear/pitting accelerates radically quickly.

When we looked online over the phone, we thought the high tension coil was placed inside the cases. Maybe now, I see the H/T coil ckmes directly off the ignition plate???

Edit: I just replied the stator, point gap alone were timing, from what I see. 035 is start point.
Two factors control pitting of the points, condenser rating, and how much contamination to the grounds for points and condenser exist. Condenser can be fine, but, impaired ground from oil contamination will do pitting. Corrosion, dirt, name it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:50 am 

I would like to have replaced the points but so far I can't come up with a part number. It will be fun to see what it brings at Las Vegas. Leroy has 150 bikes for sale in the Las Vegas Mecum auction. They are mostly bikes that were waiting to be restored or some that he had 2 or 3 of the same bike.