Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:32 pm 

Depends on where you live within The Silver State. Decades ago, there was literally NO speed limits on the highways, then came along one Lady Bird Johnson, now, privacy walls everywhere and a 70 MPH speed limit edict. Before her, the speed limits were non-existent, and, if you went over 100, you were pulled over, given a $5.00 "energy waste" warning that didn't go on your record.

Today, 55 is the limit on most highways, some 60, lesser 65, and ONE 70 MPH. The NHP and usually local county Sheriffs will allow a solid slide of 5 MPH, but, go 11 over, ticket city. Usually, the law enforcement people are great people, very few real jerks in law enforcement,m but, they do exist.

I live 6 miles out of town, and usually when I ride one of my two strokes into town, I get it to red line and very fast, to clean the excess oil and fuel richness out. Since I sit on 4 County boards, I know all the locals, and the local NHP people, they know I work in the road racing industry, and am a race rider, so, they usually leave me alone, but I don't abuse it. Usually, I get pulled over for questions on how to fix a problem with some vehicle they have. Right now, I have the City of Yerington's Police Chief's son's go cart, fixing the clutch.

Most places here, in the rural areas, are great to be in, the cities, getting out of control from all sorts of people incoming that were problems in their former areas. A county area known as Silver Springs is the hash and meth manufacturing capital of Nevada, very rural, lots of adverse people, 30 miles from me. We here are getting more and more of those sorts, dealers, users, and just plain problem persons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:02 pm 

I passed through Nevada in 1982 and a resident noticed my Washington state plate on GS750 and he advised me on that 5 dollar speeding ticket thing, I guess he assumed that I would not observe the posted 55 mph (correct assumtion :lol: ), I did not understand and didn't really care about the 5 dollar ticket thing, when on the open roads of the desert states my speedo was always at 80 or more never a ticket :D fond memories of Nevada :thumbup:

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

As Dave points out... it isn't just a state, but the specific area within a state. Climate and people are different within state limits. For example, I love where I am in East TN but wouldn't consider west or central TN... different climate and people. Same is true of NC, AZ, TX, NM, NV, NY, etc.
I'm amused at Jackman's view of the Smoky Mountain area. I made my move to East TN, Smoky Mtns, to get relief from high humidity.... coming from MS where it was 90+ deg with 90+ humidity 9 mos a yr. I guess it's all "relative" ;)
The point is, you can look at maps & statistics but spending a little time in a specific area is really a key to finding the place that is right for you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:30 pm 

Mxral, Not to highjack the thread, but how are the fire conditions there? I have property just north of you on Cherokee lake.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

soflah2b wrote:
Mxral, Not to highjack the thread, but how are the fire conditions there? I have property just north of you on Cherokee lake.

Fires are in Sevier county... Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge. They originated at Chimney Top where 80mph winds carried it out fast. It is smoky here and the rain last night helped to contain it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:12 pm 

I don't do well in humidity, and cooler summers are fine with me. Snow is a plus and I like the change of seasons. Most of the east coast is out
because after spending the first 30 years of my life there I had enough of 6 or 7 months of gray skies. I plan on working out of my garage
so living off the grid isn't a problem but don't want to be more that 30 miles from a good hospital. Really don't want to spend more than 200K
for a house so that is a big factor where I end up. Don't care for flat wide open places, always end up living in the mountains or close by
to them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:34 pm 

67lotus49 wrote:
Most of the east coast is out because after spending the first 30 years of my life there I had enough of 6 or 7 months of gray skies.

Where does that happen on the east coast? That sounds more like Seattle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:38 pm 

New England area Jim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:47 am 

Usually here, unless it is way out of control, or a real head of a cop, speed wouldn't be a significant issue here. If you are prudent, and are not passing a ton of cars @ 80, you won't get stopped, and if stopped would usually just get a friendly verbal warning. Depends on the law enforcement officer and road/traffic conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:17 pm 

So I put together a must have list for a what I'm looking for in a state to retire in. :think:
1. Must not be a leftist state
2. Affordable home prices
3. Low tax rate
4. Have a DMV where I can walk in and title any 2-stroke and there happy to take my money
5. Be able to have a gun rack in the back window of my pickup :clap:
6. Be able to water my lawn any day of the week and , wait for it , hose down my driveway :e11
7. Be able to drive 60 miles on a freeway and have it not take 2 1/2 hours :wtf:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next