Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:52 pm 

I'm hoping to put my house on the market next summer and trying to decide where to move. Needs to be a conservative state, and I don't mind snow.
Been in Cal. since 88' and we have had enough with the taxes and regulations. I'm in my late 50's so I hope this to be the last move. When you
search best states for retirement, quality of life and low taxes Wyoming always seems to be at the top of the list or close to it. Also thinking about
Idaho, Montana, Colorado. Would be great to have a snowmobile again too. So where would you move if you could? :?:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:16 pm 

I already did. :D I'm on a huge lake, there's no emissions testing for vehicles, the cost of living is low, and there are nearly deserted winding country roads around me for many miles. Weather only rarely supports snowmobiles, but there have been a few times since I've lived here. Oh, and getting a title for a vehicle that doesn't have one is easy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:23 pm 

Sounds good Jim, I'll look into NC. How are the property taxes?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 pm 

On the lake, cheaper than the DC area. Off the lake, a lot less than that. Property values are pretty low too. I guess you'd need to check the county you're considering and get their rate. The western part of the state is motorcycle paradise. I came here mainly for Kerr Reservoir. I'm sure there are as-good or better places to live in the US, but this was the best one that was a sure thing for me.

One problem of being this rural is finding a decent job. The Raleigh triangle area has plenty, but that's over an hour from here. The lake also borders on VA, which has some advantages and probably some disadvantages compared to NC.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:31 am 

Love NC, still have seasonal changes but get to ride all year long !!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:23 pm 

We've talked about this! Quit procrastinating and just do it! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:04 pm 

Yes Jim, I have wanted to leave Ca. for many years. Hard to leave my great job but my commute is up to 5 hours a day now, sometimes more. Traffic
is insane and then when it rains people freak out. Last year in one of our big snow storms up here in the mountains there was more than 150 cars that
went off the road, crazy. I plan on just working for myself when we move so that makes it easier, I can live off the grid.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:23 pm 

My wife and I moved to Tennessee 6 years ago. No state income tax. Temperate weather. Good job market in many areas, very poor in a few others. Cheap gas. The best motorcycle roads in the country! It does not get more conservative that this. Cost of living is very reasonable. Hiking and waterfalls are everywhere.
The down side is, if you don't like Tennessee football, you will spend some time being bothered by others who do. I've come to accept it.

75 H1
78 CB400II Hawk
78 KE175

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:14 pm 

The west side of Austin in Texas is pretty cool !!!! Out in the hill country is beautiful !!!! Property tax is where they get you but other wise cost of living is cheap,you can't get more conservative than Texas,people are fairly nice,central located,strong economy,some cool places to ride bikes through the hill country and along the Austin rivers and lakes !!! No snowmobiling unless you are wearing an Oculus Rift VR headset !!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:37 am 

H1Steve wrote:
My wife and I moved to Tennessee 6 years ago. No state income tax. Temperate weather. Good job market in many areas, very poor in a few others. Cheap gas. The best motorcycle roads in the country! It does not get more conservative that this. Cost of living is very reasonable. Hiking and waterfalls are everywhere.
The down side is, if you don't like Tennessee football, you will spend some time being bothered by others who do. I've come to accept it.

+1 for Tennassee. My son purchased 4 acres of property and paid nearly $5000 in closing costs, fees, etc. here in Maryland. A buddy of mine from TN bought a large parcel of land and paid $300 in costs.. Crazy.

What is very interesting is except for two or three counties in Maryland (out of 23) they are liberal. The remainder are die hard conservatives. If you look at our state by counties, you see two small dots of blue and the rest is red.

I love everything about Maryland except the government. We have varying weather, small mountains, beaches and the Chesapeake bay. Our yearly property tax is roughly 1% of our homes value.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next