Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:24 am 

triple cranks wrote:
+1 for Tennassee. My son purchased 4 acres of property and paid nearly $5000 in closing costs, fees, etc. here in Maryland. A buddy of mine from TN bought a large parcel of land and paid $300 in costs.. Crazy.

Charlie, I'm not sure the state is as important as the method. I sold a garage on an acre of property here in NC a couple years ago, and there was no cost other than some small filing fees. I did the paperwork myself, and went to the county courthouse and filed it. A title search had been done before I owned it, so there was no need for that. The new owner looked like a deer in the headlights when he saw how simple and inexpensive it is when you don't get professionals involved. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:11 am 

Some place that has no snow, but is close enough to get to snow reasonably, no state income taxes, business friendly, great WARM to hot, dry weather, good people (no liberal problem causers, great riding, sun out year around, rural, low cost of living, but close enough to a fairly big city. Just the usual stuff people like to live in.

Did I mention that it snowed last night, 1 - 1/2 feet of cold white goo all over the place, and....COLD.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:12 am 

Thanks for all the info guys. My list of must haves are low property taxes, small business friendly, high quality of life and grey market 2-stroke
friendly. Living in California since 1988, just about any state will be a vast improvement.

Would like to live in a state where I can walk into there DMV and title a grey market 2 stroke bike and be told no problem sir, where happy to take
your money.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:59 am 

Just sayin' . . . . 8-)

Quote:
When looking for the Best Small Town for 2016, all signs point north to Traverse City. The town of 14,600 consistently ranks on the annual Livability list of the 10 Best Small Towns (this is its fourth year in a row), and it's easy to see why. With its freshwater beaches, sprawling vineyards and breathtaking views of Lake Michigan, visitors and newcomers have more than enough excuses to quickly fall in love with this Midwestern town.
Traverse City offers residents plenty of places to play and enjoy a healthy, active lifestyle. "There are hundreds of square miles of state and national forests, dozens of nature preserves and wildlife refuges for hiking, cycling and beachcombing," says Michael Norton, Media Relations Director for the Traverse City Convention & Visitors Bureau. "Some of the nation’s finest trout streams are located here, and our lakes and rivers are perfect for sailing, boating, swimming and canoeing."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:02 pm 

67lotus49 wrote:

Would like to live in a state where I can walk into there DMV and title a grey market 2 stroke bike and be told no problem sir, where happy to take
your money.

My DMV never calls me "Sir"
HE just shakes my hand and says "what have we got today then Rick" :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:52 pm 

R.B. wrote:
67lotus49 wrote:

your money.

My DMV never calls me "Sir"
HE just shakes my hand and says "what have we got today then Rick" :clap:

Wow, what a difference that would be Rick. The DMV here in Ca. tells me remove the bike from the state or it will be destroyed. :banghead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:55 pm 

Not to rain on RB's parade but; I just moved out of Michigan after living North East of Lansing for 30 years. I couldn't wait to leave! It's an incredibly cloudy state with cold temps lasting from Nov thru April, very depressing. The roads south of Traverse City are in horrible condition. The Traverse City area and north of there is like a different state. Roads much better and the scenery is stunning. You better like snow there or have a 2nd home down south. I now reside in Prescott Az, elevation 5,200. My property taxes are 40% of MI with an equal value home. The state income tax is close to 1/2 also. We get 13 inches of snow a year in Prescott, so we still get seasons. The roads are amazing and I'm surrounded by a national forest with Sedona and the Grand Canyon north of me. Over 300 sunny days a year. There are a lot of great places out there. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

I was faced with this dilemma about ten years ago. To me, cost of living, climate, and heath care were priorities.
I looked at US and Caribbean islands. Crime rate and health care ruled out island paradises... that left me with finding a place in the USA. At the time I was living in Mississippi. The cost of living was not bad but I couldn't tolerate the heat & humidity. I also hate snow as I had plenty of it living in Indiana and Wyoming. So I was left with looking for a temperate climate were cost of living was reasonable.
Cost of living can be partially derived at by looking here: https://www.missourieconomy.org/indicat ... /index.stm
I ended up moving to the outskirts of Knoxville, TN.
-no state income tax.... 9.25% sales tax
-auto, health & home insurance rates were less than MS
-car tag was $25 with no annual inspection required (now $50) where MS was $800 (based on value)
-four seasons with no more than a couple of inches of snowfall
-humidity is quite tolerable
-property tax is very reasonable
-housing cost is low (I paid <$300K for 5bdrm, 3 1/2 bath, 3 car garage on 36,000 acre lake)
-TVA has some of the best electric rates in the country
-TVA lakes in east TN are abundant with plenty of recreational availability
-mountains & related activity a couple of miles away
-crime rate is low
-unemployment is one of the lowest in the country
-extremely good health care with Univ of TN Med Center
-I know all my neighbors and we look out for one another (they mowed my lawn when I wasn't able) & we visit routinely

These are some of the things I looked at when making a retirement location choice and I've been very happy!
Your priorities may differ.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:21 pm 

Would you adopt me Uncle Dale???

HUH HUH HUH????
:lol:

Some day my friend, I will darken your door.
That is the area, a good friend was looking at recently for his retirement
He ended up in AZ to be near family.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:26 pm 

If I can ever get my farm sold I will be moving to East TN. I have had two buyers back out on me... I hope to get it sold and still be young enough to enjoy my old age. 66 acres with 1 house 2 mobile homes, 40 cows. 3 tractors and all the implements to make enough hay to feed them...50 x96 shop, barn, cattle shed, garage. I need to clear 1 million dollars, which makes it 1.1 million... Any takers? Google earth 404 Stokes Airport Road, Front Royal, VA 22630

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next