Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:50 pm 

I moved here to Northern Nevada 14 years ago, love it for the most part, until this last winter we still seem to have. Snow up the kazoo, and, cold, but, the worst is the wind. I am 80 miles south east of Reno, but, I have been looking for places in Southern Nevada as of late, some place where it doesn't snow, doesn't freeze, and doesn't get blown across the road from gale force winds.

I looked at Pahrump, outside Las Vegas, and a couple more places down there, too close to the out of hand crazy part of Nevada.

I also thought about Arizona, spent one evening looking at way over priced places in tombstone, nice stuff, history and all, people there are REALLY PROUD of their stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:50 pm 

You guy's all left out NH.

NH has :

The Atlantic ocean complete with seafood, read "Lobsta's" @ $4.99 a pound in the summer.

Lakes, we have lakes. We have lakes because when all the snow melts off the mountains it runs down into the valleys and
makes lakes. If you get up on "The Big Lake", Winnipesaukee, in the summer, you can see all the old Regal wooden lake
boats.

Mountains. Yep we have those. The worst recorded weather in the US is from Mt. Washington. 230 MPH winds.

Four seasons? No. We have Six seasons. Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring, Mud and Black Fly.

Twisty Turney Motorcycle roads. You'd be hard pressed to find a straight one to pull the trigger on your H2. Think narrow,
tree and stone wall lined.

Snowmobiles. We call them sleds. You can leave Concord and ride to Maine, Vermont and Canada on trails.

Real Estate. Pick what you want. $200,000.00 will get you a nice chunk with a good home. Want Lake Front? Get ready to
bleed. Many folks want to live on a lake in NH. So we have a tiered property tax structure. Year round residence - one rate.
Out of stater with a summer home? Well that costs more.

No State income tax. No sales tax. Property taxes are on the high end of the scale. And, in many towns for that you get no
town water or sewer, and no trash pickup. You have to go to the dump. But that can be a social event and sometimes you
go home with more than you brought there.

Politics. Oh yes, we have politics. NH had one of, if not the first State constitutions dated 1/5/1776. The first shots of the
Revolutionary war were fired in NH at Fort William and Mary on 12/17/1774.

I could go on and on, but you guy's study history.

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:28 pm 

I was born and grew up in NH. Worse thing there is the high property taxes. Going to be on a fixed income when I retire so need low taxes.
We had a 150 acre farm and it was a great place to live being a kid. I remember that you hardly ever saw a pickup that didn't have a rifle rack
in the back window. Miss those days but remember the long grey winters, then lots of rain in the spring. When the rain stopped the bugs
came and didn't leave to August when it got hot and humid. September was the best month then the grey came back.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 pm 

My family were from NH as well, some of them, Hoyte, Ray families, got here on the 3rd ship, the Abigail. They founded towns, were government leaders, and it is still cold in the winter there.

I remember two places in Concord we used to frequent, we stayed at the now long gone, burned down Hew Hampshire Highway Hotel, and one of the best lobster places I have ever eaten at, on the Concord to Loudon/Laconia Road, The Inland Lobster Pool. They had lobsters on vats, pick one, they kook it, and, you could bring any drink you wanted in from the outside to drink. One year, we took Erv Kanemoto there, he asked "do we have to catch our own lobsters?". I volunteered "why, YES, Erv, reach right in there and grab the one you want, they'll cook it for you". Steve said he never laughed as much as he did just then, seeing the owner of the place chasing Erv, with lobster clamped on his thumb, chasing me down the road. Finally, the lobster lost interest in eating Erv's thumb, and the owner got him back, Erv finally calmed down, but he never did go to dinner with us again.....I wonder why?

When I got here to Nevada all those years ago, in August, I asked my then new across the road neighbor on how the weather was, 4 seasons? He looked at me and calmly said "Well......we got two seasons, August, and......winter". The man didn't lie.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:21 pm 

I do miss the fresh Lobster and Steam Clams Dave. Cold, yes I remember the cold real well. Winter of 75 we had 2 weeks that it never got above 0 degs
and 25 to 30 below at night. So damn cold that it took about 30 minutes running my VW before the gear oil was warm enough to be able to shift into gear.
I use to spend my summers felling trees for firewood. Used about 8 cord winter of 75 :wtf:

Here in the Soviet republic of California you have to drive 2 hours to find a place to ride your dirt bike. Back in NH I just opened the barn door and could ride
all day on trails and back roads. I still would choose cold over hot weather, hate the heat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:35 pm 

Just wondering Ron, I realize this may be quite a bit "out of the box", but would you ever consider moving to another country altogether, like maybe Norway, New Zealand, Australia, Puerto Rico (may be too warm for you) depending on whether or not such a place meets your criteria?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:15 pm 

I'd go to Australia :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:38 pm 

Wife just showed me our property tax for 2017 is halved. Colorado says once you hit 65 and have lived in your home for 10 years and it's your primary residence your property tax is cut in half.

So for us a 3,800sqf house finished (does not count 1,200sqf unfinished basement) valued at 350K is $600/year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

Arizona is a great state to look at. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:28 pm 

$600.00 a year ?????????

Our 1700 sq ft home is only $6800.00 a year.

Plus, for that money, we have no town water or sewer.

We also don't have to be bothered with those noisy garbage trucks as there's no trash pick up, you need to go to the dump or pay for trash pick up. And, if you go to the dump, they pay town employee's to cut open your garbage bags to make sure your throwing your garbage away correctly.

But that's a bargain, we only own 2 acres and while there's conservation land and water across the street, we don't have to pay the NH view tax.

NH - WILL - tax you for looking out your windows, and there is a "view" tax in NH.

Wrap your heads around that one. :-)

The taxes crack me up.

" Laws " Are better though.

No seat belt law, only state in the Union with out one.
No helmet law
No Carry law, hang it on your belt or stuff it under your shirt.
No cell use when driving.
No running machinery on Sunday's.

And ---- the kicker is ---- It's against State Law, to cover up " Live Free OR Die " on our license plates.
It's the state motto, and was a toast made by General John Stark.

Craig

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next