Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: KZ project
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:37 am 

Im guessing from the pic she must have really liked that bike to be with an ugly mug like yours John.. :P ;)
Nice bike, cute girl, great scenery, bet those pics bring back a lot of good memories!

Finally got on to the KZrider.com, blocked e-mail access to people sending me e-mails, I need to figure that out it has happened a few times since we switched servers.

Im really looking forward to riding this bike.
I know for many here its not much but for me to have the possibility of 3 different motorcycles to choose from is pretty neat :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:06 am 

Variety is key I'd take a shed with a triple or two and a big block four stroke any day :thumbup: my future plans is a 82 GS750EX :D

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:27 pm 

Made some progress on the KZ. Got the cases split and the tranny out.
I will be sending it out I think, I am not confidant I can do the work and I don't have the tools either.
Robinson Transmissions will rebuild to stock specs and do a street back cut for $300.00 plus parts. I don't want to do anything too expensive if possible.
Im thinking one bearing, but maybe the second gear and the bushing also.
Some scaring on the cases where the blown bearing was but it I think its fine clean it up and it will be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:08 am 

Making SLOW progress on the KZ.
Bought a transmission off e-bay, nice parts but lousy packing.
Cleaned up the tranny and the upper case and checked the backlash, all within spec. The surface the bearing rides on where it was buggered up, I polished, and it looks fine bearing fits nice.

Lots more backlash on first gear then the others, still within spec at just under .23mm but the others have less.

Is that because the input shaft gear is so small and the output shaft gear so big? The shape of the teeth are sooo different.
And you can only move the output shaft gear, if you try to move just the input shaft gear it shows no backlash only the big gear does or so it seems…..

The standard backlash is .06mm to .23mm with the limit at .30mm…….What do you do if it is in between, say at .26mm :think:
Judgment call I guess, glad I did not have think about it.
Always makes me feel like I am missing part of the puzzle (brain wise) when I see things like this, engineers that make stuff like this make me feel a bit inadequate :D

Hoping to button up the cases soonish and move on to carbs, then brakes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:13 am 
Site Admin

Considering the "generous" specification and reliability of those transmissions, it is easy to over-think the process. Transmissions can seem daunting and some guys feel a bit overwhelmed by per sieved complexity, they are really just as assembly with a bunch of parts that really like to be in the correct order..... ;)

The main things to look at, is damage of gear teeth or gear dogs/windows. Do the circlips look to be bent or damaged, are the dog engagements as deep as the can be, do the gears slide easily, and not have a lot of wiggle on the shafts. Are the bearings smooth, and measure what you have specifications for, like backlash and shaft run-out. Also look for fork or shift drum damage.

It really just an inspection, as these are tough transmissions and most have enough miles on them where any defect in materials would have shown up already.

So it looks like you are good to go! :thumbup: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:42 pm 

Neutral finder :crazy: :banghead
Just button it up and hope for the best , seems you can't check how it moves from gear to gear except first and neutral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

On the S series you just spin the shaft realy fast and it will shift past the lock out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:12 am 

I tried but with just "me" power I cannot get it to spin fast enough to force the steel balls to not fall away .
You got get it spinning fast enough to centrically get them to move.

I may try a cordless drill if I can rig it up.

The guys on the KZ forum say to not worry and to proceed with confidence, I may do have to do that…..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:14 am 

To check gear depths in gears above neutral, set the shift drum into second gear position prior to installing the headset, go forward from there in the checking/setting process.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:02 am 

Thanks Tuner :thumbup:
I will give it a try!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next