Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: KZ project
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:27 am 

I am trying to decide if the engagement is what it should be on this tranny.
All the clearances and measurements are within factory spec. The wear marks suggest it is good.
I have only worked on 2 transmissions before this one, My H2 and My GS and both were undercut and redone by MRE so the engagement looked better than this KZ tranny .

I think the engagement dogs are ok and it is going to live a life of easy (I Hope :problem: )

Can anyone here tell me if this looks about right for engagement depth for a stock KZ tranny?
And also when is an engagement dog to rounded? Is it easy to spot?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:49 am 
Site Admin

That is great engagement depth. And the dogs should look pretty close to the machined surface on the corners. They will look pretty warn before they start to kick out. Rounded dogs from mis-shifts is really a triples thing, as it was the pot metal shifter linkage that wore out very quickly causing a lot of slop and missed shifts. One would have to really beat on a big 4 stroke tranny to have problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 am 

Thank John ... getting the same reaction from others too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:58 pm 

Whew! takes a while to do anything lately, I get about 30min a week to work on this project :|

I remembered that the oil in this bike was always filled to just over the site window, I think it was because that if it was to the full line the oil light would come on under hard acceleration and over filing it helped, but that was well over 20 yrs ago now.
When I started reading up on common problems the oil light issue was one of them and this is the solution. I thought about it for a while, I wasn't so sure I was going to put one in, but in the end I though why not… and I don't need to buy one why spend the 20 bucks, easy peasy to just mod a hinge and install it for the oil gate in the oil pan to prevent oil from moving away from the pickup, went bad :banghead, but it should work, I amaze myself at my own stupidity some times. Epoxy and a cut down feeler gauge became my friends on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

You get a shadetree award for that one, great thinking! :thumbup: (shadetree is a good thing around here)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:33 am 

Trust me I have never had an original thought in my head…strictly a copy cat, and a bad one at that!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:55 am 

I'm confident that you are looking at $10k when buttoned up and cleaned up :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:33 pm 

demus wrote:
Trust me I have never had an original thought in my head…strictly a copy cat, and a bad one at that!

Are you kidding...look at that avatar bike, I could not do that!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:13 pm 

The Z1 trap door baffle for the oil migration has been around for as long as those engines have been in existence. The door shown is the nicest one I have ever seen, though, well executed, and well thought out, top quality result.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:51 pm 

R.B. wrote:
I'm confident that you are looking at $10k when buttoned up and cleaned up :thumbup:

:shock:
Looking at the post time I will assume you were sober, so you must have posted this in the wrong thread ......

And Thanks for the kudos guys, it could have been much better executed!
I played around with water in the pan to make sure it opened and closed as it passed by the gate the angle had to be where it is otherwise it just didn't close well. I made sure the gate operated with just the slightest amount of pressure on it either way the water flowed. I could get it to move with a tiny puff of air blowing on it also. Didnt want it to get stuck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next