Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: KZ project
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:47 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
OWCH! But fixable! The Mark II was a 2 year model, so a bit rare. I had the 79 blue Mark II.

Me too, great bike, excellent two up touring bike.

1973 H2-A
2000 F650GS BMW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:26 pm 

My daughter came into town with her boyfriend so he could pick up a Subaru cheap and tailer it home. So they stopped by the house to say hi. He's a big guy 6'-5" 270lbs, good auto mechanic too…. SOOOOOO

20 min after they got here the motor was back in the frame, and my back feels FINE!! :D
I still have to bolt it all up, it was nice to have help!
Now on to carb cleaning, brakes, and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:13 pm 

Another step in the right direction today. I finally got the title for this bike.
Because this bike sat unregistered since 1998 there where no records of its existence in the main data base at the DMV and because of that they check check and double check.
And because they have to go into the old file base, it took just over 2 hours of patient waiting, and the lady helping me had to make several phone calls and wait for several more return calls, but she was nice which made it tolerable.
I havent figured it out or asked but there must be a cut off date in WI when they just cannot access the old data easily.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:20 pm 

Messed around last night with the carbs Have them all cleaned and all new gaskets and o-rings and such. There 28mm mikunis with the accelerator pump, quite interesting.
Set up to test the float needle and seats and set the float heights.
They were way off where the manual suggested, and I don't know what jets are in them they are not marked except the pilot which is mikuni. I am having a hard time finding out what was stock jets and needle. Looks like Kawasaki had a lot of different set ups for different kz's. It is a bit dizzying.
I know the bike ran well before the tranny blew so I think I will leave them as they are. I am 90% positive it was a Dynojet kit done in the late 80's when he switched to the Mac Tri-Y exhaust system.

Set each carb fuel level to exactly 3mm, manual says 2-4mm. I let each sit for 10, min or so and the fuel hight didn't change, then I went back and tested each carb again to be sure.
Hope it runs good when I get them back on, such a HUGE pain to take them on and off the bike, but it is what it is!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:58 pm 

I have put a fair amount of carbs on bikes designed in the late 70's early 80's
Whoever came up with that design I hope there old and in a home and there rice is under cooked and they only get there depends changed every other day :e4 :banghead
(Not realy limited materials and budget I'm sure)
But still :evil:

AND I forgot to put the clamps on the air box side , they will be bent and fit now..

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:33 pm 

Thought I would just post that it runs like a champ , shifts well, fought some air leaks on the intakes but some shade tree mechanics has them solved for now…. New tires waiting to be mounted.

Debating which bike to take to the RockerBox bike show Elkhart Lake…the KZ or the H2… :problem: :think:
(not for showing just to go and see the bikes on display, I own no show worthy bikes)
http://rockerbox.us

Some crappy photos taken down by my shop

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:32 pm 

Very, very nice. :clap:

75 H1
78 CB400II Hawk
78 KE175

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:07 pm 

You put a lot of work onto that my friend and it certainly shows. I'm thinkin it runs as good as it looks. :clap: