Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Please PAY IT FORWARD
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:08 pm 

It is that time of year again, when we all get together with family, friends, exchange gifts, have great meals, just plain have a great time.

Please remember that there are some around us that aren't as fortunate as we all are. It doesn't matter what is needed, big, small, what might seem insignificant, if something is needed to be done, like clean the leaves from a place for someone that cannot do it, bring food, just spend a while with someone, then, if you can do it, please do. Do it from your heart, and don't even expect as much as a smile, nor a "Thank you". It is for you, as well as the person you are helping have a better day.

I don't have a family, no wife, lady friend, children, and some might say I don't have much, but, I am one of the richest people I know, because I have a whole town as friends. I am on 4 boards here, and run a Senior Citizen's food distribution program once a month. For Christmas, I get the best "present" anyone could ever get. Christmas Eve, I go down t the high school multi-purpose room and help set it up for our town's Community Christmas Dinner, Christmas Day, I am privileged and honored to be back there, running the entry door, and when it is all over, I get to take all the left over food, and get it out to those that couldn't make it into the event. With that, I have a "family" of a couple of thousand people.

Some might ask what do I "get" for Christmas, some say "nothing". Well. I get to give back to my community, for the full year previous of everyone else "Paying It Forward" to me, and so many others that need it, and, that makes me the richest man in our small valley. I still believe that it is far, far better, to give....than receive, so, I give......of myself.

Later Christmas Eve, I travel to Reno, to the V / A Hospital, and help there. There are many of my former, and still serving military brothers and sisters that need companionship now, and, all year long.

So, if the possibility arises, please PAY IT FORWARD, with a heart felt and humble "THANK YOU", from me..........to you.

Merry Christmas to all!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:26 pm 

+1 to that! If you're healthy and live a good life, there are many people out there who could use our help. A little help is better than no help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:57 pm 

Thanks for the share Dave. Glad you help with the VA, I do a lot with them too and living in a large retired Veterans community there are lots of opportunities here.
Cheers,
bb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:13 pm 

Well put Dave, it is a time when we should all forget our petty differences and get along.
Helping others is the way to go if you can swing it.
If I pass one more Red Kettle I am going to have to declare bankruptcy....

Happy Holidays to all.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:24 pm 

you are a very rich man Dave there are a lot of people out there that will be spending xmas with people they dont want to or like (some family some not ), hope you have a great Xmas and new year , and thank you for sharing all your knowledge so freely with us , i enjoy reading about the old race days , urs Al in Aus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:59 pm 

My wife and I decided to give to the local food bank this year instead of exchanging presents. We've donated about a dozen bags of food. What is really a minor impact on our finances, makes a big difference for those less fortunate.

I've also donated some funds to Tim who lives in the Philippines and makes a big difference on his island
http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/off- ... 015-a.html

Merry Christmas everyone
Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:27 am 

One of the boards I am on is the Lyon County Library Board of Trustees, I am the Yerington trustee for our central branch. I am also the liaison from the Board, to all 5 Friends of the Library Groups, they help with the finances and workings of each branch.

Silver Springs had their SS FotL Christmas event Saturday, we had just at 150 patrons come for food, door prizes, and other prizes. I ran the entry door, vended door prize tickets to all that entered. The food was sausages in BBQ sauce, roast beef, mashed potatoes w/gravy, corn, salad, dessert, cookies for the kids, chips and salsa/dressings. Mmmm, good stuff.

We had a bit of food left over, and the library director and I distributed some to those we knew that couldn't come to the event in SS and Stagecoach, and there was still enough for me to get to 12 people here in Yerington yesterday, that needed a good, hot meal.

I am also on the:
Mason Valley Swimming Pool GID Board
Lyon County Fair & Rodeo Board
Chairman, Mason Valley Citizen's Advisory Board
and, I am the chief volunteer co-ordinator for Food Bank of Northern Nevada Senior's Food Distribution Program, and USDA Commodities Food Program.

I also volunteer at the Lyon County Museum, and their thrift shop. I just got done fully restoring the Diesel engine for one of the museum items, a short line switcher locomotive. For the last 4 years previous, I helped restore an old wood burner 1880's locomotive. We laid out temporary tracks from the Museum to Main Street, and I was one of the two that moved that locomotive to the parade area, I was the "stoker", fed the burner the wood, by hand, just like back in the old days. It was GREAT!

Our next project, we just built a firehouse, houses a pristine 1920's gas fire engine, and the project is complete resto on a 1953 Pontiac ambulance, straight 8, 3 on the tree.

One has to keep occupied in their old age.

Thanks for paying it forward, everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:38 pm 

X

Last edited by warehouse1001 on Mon May 15, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:49 pm 

Yahoo, we just got done getting the multi-purpose room set up for tomorrow, and the cooks have been in there making their best stuff. We are gonna be ready for tomorrow.

Those wonderful people also set up 200 dinners for tonight, for me to get out to those that need them, so, I'm on my way.

Have a great day tomorrow, everyone, and, MERRY CHRISTMAS. Please also take a moment to remember the reason for the season, and that special day, it is a very special birthday.

Pay It Forward.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:25 pm 

Merry Christmas Dave