Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:04 am 

Hope this is the right place.

I am coming over to JC in May to help my son & daughter in law move to England. They have a Beetle/Bug they need to sell to fund the trip but which they have been told has a broken timing belt. They have been stung a few times so I am asking if any of you good people know someone locally you'd trust to recommend I can get a second opinion/quote as bank of mum and dad will likely bankroll this. I'd do it myself but time will be against when I come over. Why didn't they just get a triple!
Thx
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:29 am 

If this is the Bug flat four air cooled engine, they don't have timing chains/belts, the cam rotates reversed from the crank, via angle cut tooth gears. There might be an engine that uses a chain, or belt, but I don't remember one.

I'd go search Google about the exact model and engine. Some of the Vanagon and van models bring big bucks.

There are, as you are already aware, many VW boards to visit as well for info on it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:16 pm 

Likely it's the new generation Beetle, with an inline four cylinder, in the wrong end of a beetle LOL. Volkswagens give a LOT of trouble, no end to the issues they have. Check online to see if it is known as an "interference" engine, meaning it will clang the valves when the timing belt breaks or the idler rollers die, if so the engine is toast. If it does not hit piston to valve then it's just belt and rollers most likely.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:39 pm 

Thx guys,

yes its one with the engine in the wrong place (Herbie would turn in his grave), 2001.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:53 pm 

I just google'd "are volkswagon inline 4 cylinder engines "interference". and ended up on a web site that shows all of them, not just VW, here is the VW section

Volkswagen
TDI 1.8L – 8 valve Non-Interference
2.0L – 8 valve Non-Interference (However there have been instances of bent valves)
16 valve diesels Interference
VR6 Interference

Is this engine one of them?

My 1986 Datsun took its belt out about 8 years ago, bent half the valves. a top end gasket set, timing belt and pulleys/tensioner, full set of valves, and a full day, back to running golden. Total was about 150 bucks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:18 am 

Unfortunately, 5000 miles away which is why I am looking for a recommendation for someone reliable locally to take a look and give me a quote.

Incidentally, do you guys have annual certificates of roadworthyness?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:20 am 

Fortunately, there are school auto programs that could get it fixed easily. I teach a high school course in auto repair, and we constantly take in vehicles to fix, and then return to their owners.

Only thing we do to make insurance regs in doing so, we "buy" the car for a dollar, and sell it back to the owner for a dollar, and parts costs. There are avenues, be creative.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:52 pm 

Paul M wrote:
Incidentally, do you guys have annual certificates of roadworthyness?

It varies state to state, and sometimes also by county. In my county in North Carolina, we have annual "safety inspections" without any emissions testing, for something like $14, until a car gets 25 years old and really needs them, and then they're exempt from the inspections. :lol: The inspections are very low-key, shall we say. The more populated counties have emissions testing as well as the safety inspections.