Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:45 pm 

I remember the older Triumphs, BSA's, Nortons, Gold Star's, and other British bikes that ran the BAJA 500 and 1,000 races as well, mostly TT bikes with altered suspension, different bars, and off-road tires. They worked well, as they didn't have the raw power curve the Kawasaki's did. We wven saw a few Kawasaki 650 twins in the mix. They were soft on tires, and were usually way up in the packs, won some times. The Yamaha XS twins did the same later.

ANYTHING like that set up for street would be a class act all the way. With the right tires on the street, one cam get the full feeling of how to slide the rear, and push for front, or, both at the same time, on the street, full-on all the way around.

What makes some of the best road racers in the world is, that they used to be old TT and dirt track racers, and have an infinite feel of what they can get away with at the very edge of traction with any bike. Roberts, Romero, Adana, Lawwill, and a hundred more like them that raced dirt track of all types, were simply the best pavement people we ever produced here. Even race schools like Rich Oliver's, use dirt bikes, and teach slides and getting away with all sorts of sliding, traction abusing formats, to make better riders.

There used to be a guy that ram a full on KX420 dirt bike, with slicks on it, at Sear's Point for the AFM races. It was always entertaining seeing him go trough turn 11, a full on 180 degree right hander at the pits, with that 21 inch front wheel wwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyy out there in front of the bike. He always lead, and won, and never did fall off that thing, and we were all scared to death that wheel so far out there ahead of that bike was going to give away EVERY lap. It never did. It was way past full on impressive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:05 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:36 am 

Wow that's a crazy looking H1! Dayamned that's pretty cool looking. Whoever built that thing had some skills and must have spent some time making those up-pipes work. Looks like he didn't have enough space for the injector pump cover though. Also it looks like the kickstart lever had to be noodled a bit to get it out of the way. Still I really dig that scrambler up-pipe look. I think that would go very well with a desert sled version of the H1. Although for simplicity's sake, I'd probably just stick with a good set of standard denco type pipes. At that time most 2-stroke dirt bikes had downpipes too, so even though they had their disadvantages the bike would still look period correct with down-pipes and yet still be off-road. The stock chrome pipes would be out of the question.

Still, I really like the high scrambler pipe setups that were in during the 60's and 70's too. A more stock setup like this would be cool for the H1:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:23 am 

I REALLY like that H1, and, have an A7 high pipe'r to restore here too, long term project.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:08 pm 

I knew a couple guys back in high school who put a knobbie on because they couldn't afford anything else. They just grabbed an old dirt bike tire and slapped it on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

is it the pic, or are 2 head pipes going into one pipe? :wtf:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:28 pm 

John, we can't see the whole thing, but, I think I see the center pipe to the top right side, the right going to the left side of the bike, and the left going under the center pipe on the right.

I think I am with you on this, I figure we'd both like to see the other side of that bike.

John, did you see the early H1 steel front forks, both the 4 leading shoe front, and larger twin cam rear brakes, and, if this is an early H1, NO DISTRIBUTOR, possibly some sort of H1D type ignition, or, H2 engine in that chassis??? Then, in the pics package, the video of the ignition running the left spark plug?

It certainly could get a whole bunch more interesting.

kawah2swede, would you have more pictures of this bike, especially the front of the engine and left side of the bike???

It's still a neat version of an H1.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:53 pm 

Dont know where its from only found it on internet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_IIj3gr ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:01 pm 

Hi,
I think I can help. This bike has been built in 2002 by the French man Patrik Caralp from Mitikmoto:
http://www.mitikmoto.fr/html/MitikCompetition.htm

I saw it first time in France at Montlhery:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

A lot of neat mods, and one that is just..... "interesting"........... :wtf:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next