Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: More Unwanted Advice
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:30 pm 

A good wheel bearing grease thinned with acetone or mek and sprayed works well :) when the solvent dries, it's all grease.

But I use chain wax :)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:53 am 

Scully wrote:
A good wheel bearing grease thinned with acetone or mek and sprayed works well :) when the solvent dries, it's all grease.

But I use chain wax :)

IMO the solvents evaporates quickly enough but...some would argue the solvent degrades the 'O'-rings. I suppose...if you're using it every day.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:33 pm 

My can of Maxima chain wax arrived. I needed to balance the rear wheel of my DT100 so I took the chain off and cleaned it in mineral spirits. When it was dry and back on, I used the wax on it, and it really does seem like a big improvement over PJ1. Nice and slippery without the stickiness. Time will tell if it lubricates as well, but I'm guessing it will be better, since there shouldn't be as much grit on the chain and sprockets. Also, it's very thin until the solvent evaporates, so it appears to get right into the joints.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:49 am 

Jim wrote:
My can of Maxima chain wax arrived. I needed to balance the rear wheel of my DT100 so I took the chain off and cleaned it in mineral spirits. When it was dry and back on, I used the wax on it, and it really does seem like a big improvement over PJ1. Nice and slippery without the stickiness. Time will tell if it lubricates as well, but I'm guessing it will be better, since there shouldn't be as much grit on the chain and sprockets. Also, it's very thin until the solvent evaporates, so it appears to get right into the joints.

Naw, just like pj1 the solvent evaporates and it is just like glue. I have used both, and both do the job. Both are dirt magnets...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:30 am 

Huh, the "dry" wax feels a lot less sticky when I touch it. I guess I'll be able to see firsthand soon enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:09 pm 

I just checked my "waxed" chain, now that it's been drying for a couple days. I have to say it's pretty sticky and has some road grit stuck in it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:56 am 

From the dirt bike world. I clean the chain (non O ring) with the old 1/2 acetone and ATF mix and a rag. Then lube with the Maxima or equivalent clear style chain wax. Chain will last a moto season this way and probably a lot longer on the street.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:43 am 

And from the mountain bike world, I heat my chain with a propane torch while it's still on the bike, by rotating the pedals backwards. Then I hold an old candle on it while I rotate it, and melt wax into it. Dirt and water don't get in and it lasts a long time.

Yesterday I make some shavings from a candle and put them in a jar with some lacquer thinner. Today there were still some chunks, but I shook it up and they dissolved. My next experiment is to use that to lube a motorcycle chain and see how I like it. Report to follow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Did you look up the PSI rating of candle wax Jim? :e11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:39 pm 

I've been using the Maxima chain wax since this thread drifted that way. Last week a couple of the guys on the Ninja 250 board recommended DuPont Chain Saver. A can just arrived, and they're right... when it dries, it's not sticky like Maxima. I haven't put it on a chain yet, but I'm going to start using it instead of the Maxima and see how it goes. It looks like it's going to be the non-sticky wax that's really not sticky.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next