Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:12 am 

demus wrote:
Can Casewell go over it??
Probably a bad idea, I always have plenary of those :)

It's all pooled in the bottom of the tank. I need to figure out a way to get it out of there while trying to keep the paint somewhat intact. Then I'll need to clean out the rust and, again without ruining the paint further, re-coat.
So irritating.

1976 KZ400
1979 XS650 Cafe
1982 GPz750
2001 KZ1000P
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it; it's not really yours"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:54 am 

That really sucks!
I vaguely remember a post or a video on this site of some sort of protective coating for painted surfaces that either peeled off or was water soluble but would resist most chemical agents, made to do what you are talking about......
I think John posted it???

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:44 am 

demus wrote:
That really sucks!
I vaguely remember a post or a video on this site of some sort of protective coating for painted surfaces that either peeled off or was water soluble but would resist most chemical agents, made to do what you are talking about......
I think John posted it???

Caswell offers a product to protect paint, Caswell Seal Mask...

https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-ga ... l-oz.html#

+1 on the Caswell, my H1 had a pin hole gas leak, sealed it last year and all good. Luckily it was on the underside so the paint was not harmed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:01 am 
Site Admin

They stole my idea!...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PRuL4kTG6E

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:55 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:

LOL. Much cheaper too!

1976 KZ400
1979 XS650 Cafe
1982 GPz750
2001 KZ1000P
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it; it's not really yours"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:03 pm 

The TS250 tank I lined with Caswell is failing. Fuel is getting underneath it and it is loosing and flaking off in big pieces.
So far it is not leaking so I will continue to watch it until it does leak.

I am inclined to say it is not the product but the applicator (me) most of the time when a products fails it is because not the product but the person using it, but the tank was in VERY rough shape inside.

My process was cleaned with Dawn dish soap and water fined well , filled it with phosphoric acid let it sit for 24 hr. When I rinsed it of the acid I shock the hell out of it with fresh water several times, thats when I noticed the pin holes.
After that I got the Casewell and follow the directions to a "T". It sat for 1 week before fuel, then I filled it with gas to check. Been using it since then end of july beginning of August I think.

Are there any tricks or tips for using it??
Maybe I missed something.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:15 am 

I've coated a couple of tanks with KBS tank sealer, no problem so far. The KZ900's tank was coated four years ago. I use non-ethanol gas.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:19 pm 

demus wrote:
After that I got the Casewell and follow the directions to a "T". It sat for 1 week before fuel, then I filled it with gas to check. Been using it since then end of july beginning of August I think.

Are there any tricks or tips for using it??
Maybe I missed something.

I've used Caswell on several tanks including my H1 that had a pinhole. I never use water to clean a tank, Caswell recommends acetone. Did you put drywall screws in the tank and shake them up?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:16 pm 

Yep ..after the washing with the Dawn and then acid and rinsing with water I dried it and let it sit for several days.
If you saw the inside of this tank when I got it it was BAD and it had a good amount of sludge in it.
Dawn is a great soap to get rid of oil and all kinds of greasy nasty stuff been using that and Fantastic for years removing grime off of just about anything including parts.
My hope was the acid would get rid of the heavy rust, it was flaky inside, and it wouldn't leak and I would run a filter and be done. But after the rust was mostly gone it had 2 pinholes.

I followed the directions that came with the Caswell. I cursed those F'n screws bad!! :lol: It took me some time to get them all out, the stupid tank has a lip inside where the cap is that allowed the screws to get wedged in it. :x

Its not leaking yet , I keep saying that to myself, but if you look in the tank you can see a couple potato chip size pieces floating and you can see the fuel under the coating where the tank humps up inside for the frame rail.
I will drain it eventually and stick a scope in, AND look for a new tank, their getting a bunch for a good one on E-bay.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:12 am 

demus wrote:

I followed the directions that came with the Caswell.

I would contact Caswell tech support, I'm sure there is something that can be done to save the tank. Possibly another coat of the sealer?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next