Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:28 pm 

I was shocked at how little a quart covered on my Ford tank. I poured it in, and rolled it once and there was no liquid in the tank. I paid for a new tank. But I was impressed at what it actually did. by my visual estimate it would take a gallon to coat a passenger car tank. Will a pint do a bike tank? I would buy 2 and take one back if you can.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:59 pm 

RedKote is what we used to use at the radiatior shop to do industrial equipment.

Unlike some liners, the thing actually forms a slightly flexible bladder in the tank when dry. If done right it will adhere really well and last a long time. I have a tank I just bought with a redkote liner put in the late 90's and the liner is still holding strong (I have plenty of tanks with bad kreem liners from a recent as a couple of years ago).

A long time ago I built a fiberglass tank for my cb750. I was working at the rad shop and put a redkote liner in it to cover up a bunch of pinholes. My fiberglass work was so bad the tank cracked and fell apart after a couple of weeks, leaving a semi-transparent tank shaped redkote bladder where the tank had been (apparently I had used the wrong epoxy and spilling gas on the top of the tank had started disolving it). My boss used to use the bladder to show people what redkote looked like. This was pre internet and cellphone camera days and I really wish I had a pic of it. He closed shop a couple of years ago and I wish I had know as I would have rescued the tank.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:21 am 

thanks for all the replies everyone.
cheers mark :thumbup:

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:07 pm 

Resurrecting an old thread.
I had my H1 tank boiled and Red Kote'd back in 2010. Most of the intervening years it sat empty while I worked on the rest of the restoration.
After I ran it for a few hundred miles I let the bike sit with a full tank of treated ethanol fuel. A year later (I know) I noticed a red streak on the petcock when I pulled the cover off. My petcock rubber had disintegrated and the carbs were stuck closed. Everything was full of a thick reddish substance which I took for old fuel. I am rebuilding everything but when I went looking for one of my petcock fuel strainers and I found it stuck to the bottom of the fuel tank in what appears to be a pool of Red Kote. There does not seem to be any left on the sides of the tank. It appears it all dissolved off the sides and pooled in the bottom of the tank. Ugh. To make matters worse, I have a bubble in the paint from what I am assuming is a now-exposed pinhole in the top of the tank.
This stuff has a great reputation which is why I always used it. Heck, the old-timer who did the tank said the tank could rust away and you would still be left with a tank made entirely of Red Kote. I guess not...
Anyone else seen this? Here's a pic of the petcock:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1976 KZ400
1979 XS650 Cafe
1982 GPz750
2001 KZ1000P
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it; it's not really yours"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:34 pm 

The world has moved on, Red coat does no longer works due to the ethanol content like many of the other lining systems.
I have a Scott with a treated tank, the liner has come away, fuel has got under the paintwork and has screwed up the coachwork quality finish, so it looks like a major strip , repair the tank properly using metal ( braze / solder ) and a major bill for the paint job, there is no permanent short cut to doing the job properly. :banghead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:11 pm 

I've heard many good reports about Caswell's Phenol-Novolac epoxy liner. That type of epoxy is used to line commercial gasoline and other chemical storage tanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:12 pm 

Short term so far but I recently coated a real bad tank with Casewell, filled it up with untreated ethonal fuel then it sat for a month , I drained it to work on it and stuck a scope inside and it was still a real thick hard coating with no signs of failure .
It's been filled a couple times now and run with a clear filter with no signs of problems and there were multiple pin holes in it .... but again pretty short term at this point.
Hoping it lasts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:13 pm 

I have a bike with that redkote (?) sealant and my gas is bright red all the time, and it seems to leech pretty badly. I would go with Caswell or POR-15.

Lane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:48 pm 

Thanks Guys, at least I'm not the only one. I feel bad I sold an Interceptor with a Red Koted tank. But who knew?
The paint job on the H1 cost me a small fortune. The GPz also has a Red Koted tank and I wonder how long that will last. I haven't noticed anything... yet.

1976 KZ400
1979 XS650 Cafe
1982 GPz750
2001 KZ1000P
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it; it's not really yours"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:15 pm 

Can Casewell go over it??
Probably a bad idea, I always have plenary of those :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next