Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fuel line issues
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:57 pm 

Since the Deals Gap meet, I've had several problems with my H2 that has kept it from being on the road since the middle of June. First was the voltage regulator died. I got that fixed last week thanks to Malc who supplied me with a new (to me) voltage regulator at Mid Ohio. New light bulbs and everything is OK there. The same day that the regulator quit, the bike started running on only 2 cylinders. Pulled the right carb apart and drained the water out of it and that problem was fixed.

Now for the issue that I have a question about. Today, I rode the bike to work with no issues. After work, I get on the bike, turn on the gas (Pingel petcock) and gas is pissing out of the right fuel line. So I cut off the broken end and put the line back on the carb. I'm running urethane fuel line from Parts Unlimited. The line broke 3 more times before I got home and the last 2 miles was on 2 cylinders as I has to pinch off the right line because it was now too short to reach the carb and stay on the fitting. My right work boot is completely gas soaked and will probably take a couple of days to dry out...tomorrow is going to suck if I have to use my ladder or climb a pole as I'm going to have to wear my non steel shank boots to work. :e4 :e4

Here's the question...does this new ethanol gas deteriorate urethane fuel line? Granted, this line has been on the bike for at least 4 years and 10000 miles, but I was under the impression that urethane fuel line is one of the best that you can get. Should I get another roll of the Urethane or should I spend the extra and get Tygon?

Post subject: Re: Fuel line issues
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:11 pm 

Jeff, the urethane tubing I've had does degrade with age, even if it never gets used. I had some in my tubing scrap box for about 15 years and went to use a piece, and it did just what you described. I assume fuel just speeds up the aging process.

"Tygon" applies to many different types of tubing, but most of it is vinyl, and it also degrades when exposed to gasoline. The difference is that it shrinks and gets hard as the plasticizer is removed, instead of getting brittle and cracking.

I've settled on urethane, and change it every few years, but if you change it every few years, I guess it doesn't matter much what type you use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:21 pm 

Ethanol tends to dry things out. Ask any drag racer. I suspect current fuel is making fuel line replacements more common. I have several watercraft and all the lines need to be replaced every few years. The inside flakes and clogs tiny filters in the carbs. It is a huge pain involving a weekend and about 20 feet of hose per unit. Other than purchasing expensive race or aircraft fuel there isn't an option. Thank our government, for ethanol is a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

My understanding is that Tygon is the way to go. I have it on the 500 but with little exposure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:06 pm 

John's gonna laugh at me for saying this -

I have no idea what fuel line I have or what size it is. My scrap box finally got used up so a couple of years ago (and it was all mix-matched too) so I went to the local shop and said "gimmie a couple of feet of fuel line". That's what I use on my bikes - all of them.

It's a tight fit on my pingle but "I don't care" :e11

Bummer abt your issues Jeff, especially the boots.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:36 am 

I bought some clear line from Lowe's and while it was not specifically for fuel, it held up for years without a problem. it is getting hard so it will need to be replaced soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:30 am 

same thing happened to me on my s2a

replaced with the same clear line you did
within a year it cracked, and even worse the damn inline filter broke too

thinking about going back to the black rubber fuel line

its been holding up since 67 on my bolens tractors, should last a while on the s2a

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:55 am 

If you don't mind opaque tubing, McMaster-Carr has Viton for about $5/foot. Expensive, but it will probably outlast us. They have it in black, brown, and green.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:33 pm 

The blue fuel line from Parts Unlimited does get hard and turns yellowish with alky in today's gas
Never had one break but do replace them when they get rock hard

Can you still buy the old fashion black rubber line and would it be terrible with today's fuels?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:51 pm 

I just installed Motion Pro tygon line from Reproduction Decals...the good news is that it fits the Pingel and 38's much better than the thin crap. It's $4 a foot, it looks nice although kinda thick.

Last edited by Zambia on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.