Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:10 pm 

+1 Steve - time capsule - looks good - memories of my youth, really like it.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:01 pm 

Really cool,, like the clean lines.. The three light pole lights bring back memories.. Very nice :thumbup: :thumbup:

Like the speakers to :wave:

1976 KV 75

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:23 pm 

I have the '60s 3-light pole lamp that my parents bought new in our TV/computer room.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:13 am 

nice room Foully, your Eames rocking armchair rod (RAR) is an original one according to the black frame not a repro -not the first one yet according to the color-, you should have a herman Miller sticker under :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 am 

We had that mirror kicking around for years , nobody wanted it , did we throw out some treasure :think:

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:26 am 

Thanks guys. The 3-light pole is actually really useful and efficient, I'm surprised they're not still made.

Husson, you are correct, it is an early Herman Miller. When I bought it in 2000, I struggled over whether I could afford the $16 at an estate sale. My kids sat on it when they were young, but then abandoned it because it's so uncomfortable. Several years ago I found that they routinely sell for between $2 & $4k.

The mirror was $5.

I too found a motel about five years ago that was straight out of 1962 and mint! My GF and I laughed. It was so well-taken care of it was all like new.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:38 am 

Informative thread !!! It's interesting reading about the backgrounds of people who own Triples ...

Paperboy and lawn mowing
Burger King (while in school for auto mechanics)
Cook in a restaurant

Graduated in 1976

Auto parts store (driver, turned drums and rotors … and a little sales)

1977 to 1984 Machine shop, small job shop building specialized experimental tire stock guidance machinery for General Tire … and built a lot of other machines as well for other customers. Ran things like mills, lathes, shapers, VTL, and surface grinder. Making stuff is my favorite thing to do.

1984 to 1996 Worked for a “process controls” company on industrial steam boilers at places like GM, Ford, Timken, forges, local hospitals (like Cleveland Clinic), universities, military bases. Also municipal water and waste water plants.

1996 to present … same stuff … but I went into business for myself.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 pm 

Mr. Foully wrote:
Did someone say furniture?

This is my livingroom. I started buying the mid-century modern furniture after my divorce in 1998 because it was cheap and made my friends laugh. Then I dated a chick for five years that helped me fill in all the small stuff, and the room is now 100% retro. Ever since 'Madmen,' interest in this stuff has been stoopid, but I got in well before that.

I have quite a few 'mood' lights that would really set a room like that off. ;)

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:32 pm 

16 *Usher @ Movie theater (not a total loss---I met my wife there!)
17 *Parts counter guy
18 * Production Technician @ Biotech company, we manufactured in vitro diagnositc devices. Worked in a "clean room".
(They went out of business)

Various seasonal stints @Kmart and such

22 * Machine operator at a trade bindery.
I got this job 1 week after the biotech place closed down, I took the first job I could find thinking I would keep on looking.......

20 years later I am still there. (I even went to college and got a degree in data com to try and get the hell out of there, but they freaked and gave me a big raise/promotion and told me I couldn't quit.) I lost my salary position a few years back when we had major cutbacks, now instead of having a deparment and 4 or 5 trainees, I AM the deparment, and I am on hourly, but the thing is, I make more now than before thanks to overtime.

We are not a printer, but we do work for printers....we take flat press sheets and turn them into whatever. Maps, books, mailers, folders, etc....
Its a tough industry! Printing stopped "growing" a few years before the recession. The advent of the Internet has hurt a lot. You know all that talk about "going paperless"? Annual reports used to be HUGE every year for us, that's fallen off since a lot of that is online. We used to do a lot of mailing---production and mailing of catalogs, advertisements, etc...That's dropped way off. Most "mom and pop" printers have closed down, a few large conglomerates have gobbled up alot of the medium operations.

I am having my best year ever financially speaking though, because we have such a skeleton crew. It used to take 4 or 5 jobs on my floor to put me into overtime mode, now we have to make tight schedules and take difficult work all the time just to get jobs in the house, and so it's almost always a "hot" job. We got a new sales manager last year and he is doing a great job at getting work, but sometimes he oversells us and we have to scramble to get the work done. I've been doing 60 hour weeks almost all year and had a few that broke 80. My record is 93. I am exhausted and freaking sore....but Ive actually had some weeks here and there where I was not broke by Monday! :D

Dear god I am rambling on!

1972 S2 350, 1972 F9 350 Bighorn, 1975 KX400, 1981 YZ465, 1980 XT500 (Built for MX) , 1987 KD80, 1995 MZ Skorpion, TTR 125, 1994 KDX200 , 1978 Mobylette, 1985 KX350R-F91m (Frankenstein) and a Doodle Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:55 am 

hi Guys I started working at 10 yrs old in a hardware store after school and saturday mornings, did gardening on weekend in high school , and at 16 worked after school in a BMW bike shop , where I got an aprenticeship as a bike mechanic , then moved to a Suzuki shop , then cars at Toyota Doing gearboxes and trucks , started my own shop , then moved to the country and work for Goodyear as a service manager for awhile then started a mobile workshop doing everything , in 94 I opened another workshop in a small counrty town ( Central Tilba )doing everything again , that went till 2002 , now i work part time for Range Rover in Sydney and helping out at friends shops when needed , and play in my garage with my toys

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next