Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:44 am 

Wow! Where do I start. Eh, lets start after High School. Went to Lincoln Tech, pretty much a waste of time. To that point, I was already working in a Service Station and under the wing of the owner at the age of 13. A five year head start put me way ahead of the class. Going back to when I was a senior in high school, I brought my 1970 Mach III into my Auto Mechanics Class and taught everyone what a 2 stroke was and how it worked for a week.
So, I ended up a Mechanic and Service Tech for 25 years in my town. I also wrenched Jap bikes at a local Harley-Davidson Dealer at night when I was in my 20's for 50% of the labor. Mostly because none of the other mechanics would touch them.
Crazy Dealership, they carried Harley's, Moto Guzzi's, Ducati's and Triumph's. They'd work on anything that was old World. It was also a gateway for what you might call slightly illegal motorcycles that were not allowed in this country. They didn't quite meet our safety standards. Ha! Such as Factory Super Bike race bikes that Malcolm Forbes would occasionally smuggle in through Canada and we'd prep. Also, crazy customs like Bimoto's and others you'd never see except in magazines. Fun place, but I digress.
At the age of 43, I walked away from it all. Gave my whole house size tool box to a kid just starting out and never looked back. For the past 17 years I've worked for a company that goes by the name of, McFarlane Toys. I'm the Operations Manager and Quality Control Manager there. We make actions figures and resin statues and none are made better. Current figure lines consist of the Comic and TV hit series, The Walking Dead. The video games, Assassin's Creed and Halo. We also do Sports figures for the NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA. Lots more, too. You can see current and past production at this web site http://www.spawn.com.
Yes, it's a fun job. But, like any other job, it's still a job. I do get to travel and have met many famous and some infamous celebrities in the past 17 years. I travel to China 2, maybe 3 times a year. That's always fun. The job keeps me extremely busy, but at least it is interesting. Right now my focus has been on the usual array of sports figures and a new series of Walking Dead figures. But, beyond that, I've been busy with a new and really cool cold cast resin project for the Halo game and one for the Assassin's Creed 4 game, soon to be released. The kicker, though, is a WWE statue we've been hard at work on. No, at this point I can't tell you who it is. Or, the other two that are also slated for production.
What we do is either sculpt from clay, or render on the computer, designs to be modeled, molded, cast, painted and sent to China to be produced into PVC posable figures, or cast into resin statues. We use lazar scanners for some of our projects and output them on 3D printers. It's a very interesting process. As a matter of fact, I'd be happy to give anyone interested a tour of our Design Group. If you're close by, or ever just passing through the Northern New Jersey area. Just contact me a couple weeks in advance and we'll set it up. I'll even throw you a couple FREE samples of our work when you leave.
Yep, I'm 60 years old and still playin' with toys. Not bad.....not bad. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:00 am 

Retro 3 wrote:
rusty34 wrote:
Engine builder for Hendrick Motorsports, 20 years now. Before that I built engines for smaller teams and bounced around a lot

do you know Cole Chitty?
he worked for Hendrick.
good friend of mine.

About when was he there and did he work for one of the teams or in the chassis shop? We have over 600 now.

3 H2's, all stock
Seats by Tony O'Connor, they're gorgeous
H2B, converted to H2C
75 Paint & Decals by Brian H
75 Euro Seat by Tony O'Connor
Eldorado Motorcycle Seats, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:09 pm 

Quote:
About when was he there and did he work for one of the teams or in the chassis shop? We have over 600 now.

...an amazing place, that Hendrick's Motor Sports. Been there a bunch of times. Especially, when we were doing NASCAR action figures to get approvals. Did head scans for several the teams drivers at the Phoenix and Atlanta race tracks. Fun times dealing with those guys. :mrgreen:

Attachment:
48144031.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:26 pm 

rusty34 wrote:
Retro 3 wrote:
rusty34 wrote:
Engine builder for Hendrick Motorsports, 20 years now. Before that I built engines for smaller teams and bounced around a lot

do you know Cole Chitty?
he worked for Hendrick.
good friend of mine.

he worked in the chassis shop. at some point he was on Gordon's pit crew.
he left about 3 years ago.
not sure how long he was there

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm 

KraZyRIDER wrote:
Wow! Where do I start. Eh, lets start after High School. Went to Lincoln Tech, pretty much a waste of time. To that point, I was already working in a Service Station and under the wing of the owner at the age of 13. A five year head start put me way ahead of the class. Going back to when I was a senior in high school, I brought my 1970 Mach III into my Auto Mechanics Class and taught everyone what a 2 stroke was and how it worked for a week.
So, I ended up a Mechanic and Service Tech for 25 years in my town. I also wrenched Jap bikes at a local Harley-Davidson Dealer at night when I was in my 20's for 50% of the labor. Mostly because none of the other mechanics would touch them.
Crazy Dealership, they carried Harley's, Moto Guzzi's, Ducati's and Triumph's. They'd work on anything that was old World. It was also a gateway for what you might call slightly illegal motorcycles that were not allowed in this country. They didn't quite meet our safety standards. Ha! Such as Factory Super Bike race bikes that Malcolm Forbes would occasionally smuggle in through Canada and we'd prep. Also, crazy customs like Bimoto's and others you'd never see except in magazines. Fun place, but I digress.
At the age of 43, I walked away from it all. Gave my whole house size tool box to a kid just starting out and never looked back. For the past 17 years I've worked for a company that goes by the name of, McFarlane Toys. I'm the Operations Manager and Quality Control Manager there. We make actions figures and resin statues and none are made better. Current figure lines consist of the Comic and TV hit series, The Walking Dead. The video games, Assassin's Creed and Halo. We also do Sports figures for the NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA. Lots more, too. You can see current and past production at this web site http://www.spawn.com.
Yes, it's a fun job. But, like any other job, it's still a job. I do get to travel and have met many famous and some infamous celebrities in the past 17 years. I travel to China 2, maybe 3 times a year. That's always fun. The job keeps me extremely busy, but at least it is interesting. Right now my focus has been on the usual array of sports figures and a new series of Walking Dead figures. But, beyond that, I've been busy with a new and really cool cold cast resin project for the Halo game and one for the Assassin's Creed 4 game, soon to be released. The kicker, though, is a WWE statue we've been hard at work on. No, at this point I can't tell you who it is. Or, the other two that are also slated for production.
What we do is either sculpt from clay, or render on the computer, designs to be modeled, molded, cast, painted and sent to China to be produced into PVC posable figures, or cast into resin statues. We use lazar scanners for some of our projects and output them on 3D printers. It's a very interesting process. As a matter of fact, I'd be happy to give anyone interested a tour of our Design Group. If you're close by, or ever just passing through the Northern New Jersey area. Just contact me a couple weeks in advance and we'll set it up. I'll even throw you a couple FREE samples of our work when you leave.
Yep, I'm 60 years old and still playin' with toys. Not bad.....not bad. :thumbup:

Awesome! I have a McFarlane "Jerry Garcia" ...he is the pride of my mantel!

1972 S2 350, 1972 F9 350 Bighorn, 1975 KX400, 1981 YZ465, 1980 XT500 (Built for MX) , 1987 KD80, 1995 MZ Skorpion, TTR 125, 1994 KDX200 , 1978 Mobylette, 1985 KX350R-F91m (Frankenstein) and a Doodle Bug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:29 am 

Quote:
Awesome! I have a McFarlane "Jerry Garcia" ...he is the pride of my mantel!

...Wow, Jerry Garcia! That takes me back. That was 2001! Holy crap does time ever fly!

...That was Prime Time for music figures. We were also doing KISS, Ozzy, Janice Joplin, Alice Cooper, Rob Zombie and the Beatles back then. Great times for music figures. Jerry was definitely one of our most popular. Yep, those were the days. I can remember Jerry's sister being a real pain about, of all things, his shoes! Can you imagine? She was very particular about having us sculpt a certain pair of shoes for him.

...We're doing some very cool things today, but music was definitely one of my favorites. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:28 pm 

Worked on Lawn mowers, dirt bikes and cars before I went to college, didn't like that :~ Got a job welding at a construction research laboratory and they had a R-2800 and an R-3350 for wind testing. Started working on them :) 1980 to a Jet engine overhaul shop. Then out to the flight line. Still working on airplanes, ClL44's Electras, CV580 CV880 CV990 DC6 DC7 DC8 DC9 DC10, MD11 MD10 MD80's B707 B720 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 B777 A300 and A310's....
oooh a few Lear 23's and Lear 35's.
One day, I'll retire :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:52 pm 

Gotta love those Electras and Coronados - Can't be many of them left, you old bugger...! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:15 pm 

28 years as a law enforcement officer and the last 26 with the LAPD. I supervisor an undercover team in South Central Los Angeles my unit hunts wanted murders, rapist, robbers, and kidnap suspects. I'm retiring soon and want to collect triples. If I was retired today I'd buy the white 69 500 on Ebay. Someday I will have one! I'm the one in the middle. Picture was taken after a search warrant 2 weeks ago.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:16 am 

I worked for the same large aerospace company for 25 years. as a Machinist then Chief Inspector, Planning Engineer and then finally as Plant Manager. We were a key player on many interesting projects such as the Canada Arm, The International Space Station, and a major supplier for all types of landing gear. I was so lucky to work with many brilliant Engineers and Machinist's and to learn from them. It truly was my dream job as I was so fortunate for being at the right place at the right time!
I resigned from the company 2 years after it was sold and went public as the companies "mind set" changed and not being the same as when I enjoyed it.
Today... I work at a Golf Course... As a Mechanic about 5 minutes from my house!!!!!! lovin every minute of it!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next