Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:38 pm 

mraxl wrote:
scrambler73 wrote:
lotta paperboys on this list.... :lol:

I did that too at age 11.... it's a shame the younger generations don't even know what a paperboy was.

Yeah they'd say "My first job was delivering emails".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:58 pm 

mraxl wrote:
scrambler73 wrote:

I did that too at age 11.... it's a shame the younger generations don't even know what a paperboy was.

some of my most VIVID Childhood memories/MISERABLE experiences were delivering papers. I had the Saturday and Sunday Route for the Minneapolis Star/Tribune. Out of the house by 5am, walk (with cart) 2 miles to pick up papers at local "distribution house". Entire route was about 5 miles total...I delivered all of the streets surrounding my house.

Saturdays were no big deal (thin/lightweight, and not as many subscribers), but my Sunday cart was FULL. Not only that, the papers needed to be assembled and were sometimes up to 3" thick (Christmas).

Winter was absolute HELL... Cold was one thing, but when it snowed...Especially WET SNOW, it was absolute torture for a 12 year old kid that weighed about 100 pounds. I remember dragging that cart (held 100 papers, and when full, weighed at least 2x's what I did) with snow sticking to the wheels (imagine rolling wet snow to make a snowman) till they grew to the point they jammed on the frame and would not turn any more. There were times I'd leave the cart at the end of one block and load my arms with as many papers as I could just to lighten the load... :lol:
I could sometimes "sucker" a friend (or my younger brother) into helping, but usually after one time...that was it. Once bitten, twice shy. :lol: :lol: I really dug that job and that fact that I got a check for $40.00 every 2 weeks was HUGE money as a 12 year old. Only took me a couple of months to save up for my dirtbike.. I think it was up to $60 every 2 weeks when I was 15, but by then my sights were on the big time! A $3.50/hr job!
My brother took over for me, but was always oversleeping, and my dad wanted to kill him from all the early morning "WHERE IS MY PAPER!!!!!!! :evil: "phone calls"...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:59 am 

mraxl wrote:
scrambler73 wrote:

I forgot I had a paper route. Basically I went door to door selling the papers.It was overseas and worked a little differently from the traditional throw the paper on the driveway routine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:42 am 

Delivering papers wasn't in the cards for me... All my work experience until I was 14 was working on dairy farms. I pulled on more tits than a guy 3 times my age by then! :mrgreen:
The work wasn't optional but expected and my older brother set the pace and he was a work horse! It's funny looking back, we were both jacked but never ever set foot in a gym and we were no different than the other farm kids.
Plenty of work and nowhere to spend it as I remember... By the age of 12 I had saved enough money ($700) to buy my first dirt bike. :D

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:40 pm 

Been working steady since I was 12
Mowed lawns as a kid. $5 per front and back
Worked for the richest man in town as hired labor doing landscaping, weeding, whatever for $2/hr
Winchells donuts
Arco gas station. We sold beer too so I was the source for my HS greaser friends
U-Totem convenience store Encinitas. Robbed at gunpoint 3X. Beat up a punk who stole from me...
Another gas station.
Parked cars at the Radisson Hotel in Mission Valley
Waited tables
Limousine chauffer. "Home James!". Bachelorette parties were awesome
Stint as a "pharma supplier / organic farmer" Ahem...
Construction
BS in History from Cal State
United Parcel Service for the last 26 yrs.

1976 KZ400
1979 XS650 Cafe
1982 GPz750
2001 KZ1000P
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it; it's not really yours"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:31 pm 

went from residental/light commercial heating/ac service to supermarket refrigeration install/service

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:15 am 

Now I totally understand Walms Avatar pic... She must have
been the one with the best teats..... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:09 am 

:lol: the idea behind that was a smoking Kaw...
Funny though, because we lived on a dairy farm people would give my mom little gifts at Christmas, birthdays etc. of cow stuff. We had cow shaped salt and pepper shakers, milk containers, pictures, statues, cow shaped handles on cheese knives, cow clocks... You name it!
I asked my mom why she ever got into collecting cow stuff, she said she didn't, everyone just assumed she collected because we lived on a farm. :lol: :lol: I think she hated that stuff but didnt want to disappoint her friends.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:11 am 

Walms wrote:
:lol: the idea behind that was a smoking Kaw...
Funny though, because we lived on a dairy farm people would give my mom little gifts at Christmas, birthdays etc. of cow stuff. We had cow shaped salt and pepper shakers, milk containers, pictures, statues, cow shaped handles on cheese knives, cow clocks... You name it!
I asked my mom why she ever got into collecting cow stuff, she said she didn't, everyone just assumed she collected because we lived on a farm. :lol: :lol: I think she hated that stuff but didnt want to disappoint her friends.

You should see Moo's house!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 am 

If John is interested, I know where he can get a full collection... Maybe for the price of a stage II port job on a G3SS... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next