Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:20 pm 

BarryB wrote:
With technology the days of (brick and mortar) requirements are fading.

Yes, all over the place, not only in the workplace. Even though I sometimes still hear people saying we should all patronize the local mom and pop stores, they're on the way out. Years ago I got tired of going to the local car parts suppliers and being told "I can order that for you." There goes the only advantage to a brick and mortar store... having the parts in stock. Service? If the part is defective, the brick and mortar guy needs the bad part delivered back to his store, then he orders you a new one, and you drive there to pick it up. With places like Rock Auto, I make a call, they send out the new part, complete with a return shipping label for me to return the bad one, and a truck picks it up at my house.

Oh, a couple of your monitors have some odd dark areas. It looks like they're losing fluorescent backlight tubes or something. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

demus wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:
In the long run, it is worth it to be your own boss...... :thumbup:

With employees ????? :roll: :crazy:

:lol:

That's what kids are for, many years of training...... ;) :lol:

And in Vipers case, I think he made the right decision. :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:06 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
And in Vipers case, I think he made the right decision.

Amen to that!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:07 pm 

Jim wrote:
BarryB wrote:
With technology the days of (brick and mortar) requirements are fading.

Oh, a couple of your monitors have some odd dark areas. It looks like they're losing fluorescent backlight tubes or something. :lol:

Security redaction...

Brick and Mortar meaning business office not retail. We go out of our way to support in this order:
1) Locally owned mom/pop store.
2) If not locally owned than we use retail chain stores (they still employ local people).
3) Nothing from China if at all possible.
4) Internet (and still not from China if possible).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:58 am 

Tinker'r #1

Mechanical#2
Electrical
Chemical
Metallurgical-Bach.degreed

Currently, breaking the big engines at Chysler(sic)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:23 am 

Viper wrote:
I'm a graphic artist since I was 18 years old and after a 5 years contract to that company now I have my own business which is printing press.

Good call Viper - I've been in printing for 34 years now...it used to be one of the top 3 industries in the country...not so much anymore. But making custom products every single day is still interesting and challenging after all these years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:08 am 

Started working as an apprentice at British Steel Pipework Engineering Developments (PED did not stand for pissed every day or so my Boss told me),
Stuck with them long enough to be popped into production management, left to join an agency doing purchasing consultancy and sales Agency in the European Automotive industry. Stayed there for about 18 years, long enough to make partner. Was then poached by one of my clients who manufacture Automotive Badging, now responsible for worldwide sales, marketing and new program introduction. based in Stockholm, manufacturing plants in Stockholm and Czech Republic, just south of Brno, i live in the UK. Great company great team, but the allure of the industry begins to fade away with my 5th decade.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Soooo we can get custom badging cheap then? :lol: :lol: :lol: just kidding.......

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:01 pm 

I've always been a mechanic.
Right up until last year 1/1/16 when I passed my business to my son.
I literally passed the torch to him.

Attachment:
Tourch.jpg

Pulling wrenches gets in your blood, as do Triples.
I'll never be able to be without either.

I've been "retired" for a full year now.

I still go to the shop most days, mainly to work on my H2, but also to see what the boys are up to.
I also cast bullets and load ammo there.

Someone here, leastways I think it was this forum, posted a pic of a Saab 96 that they own.
I cut my teeth on them.
I'm an old Saab guy as well. Saab's got me started in my European Automotive Repair adventure.
As a kid, I'd work on anything that came through the door.
Then I started screwing with Saab's.
Folks would drive by the shop and see them there and ask me if I worked on Saab's.
Then many of them would say "I've got a Volvo".

It kinda went from there, one European brand after another.

The automotive repair industry was always very good to me and it continues to be a challenging, fun, and rewarding business for my guys.
There's 7 full time and 3 part time.
I watch them and smile as they struggle with the day to day trials and tribulations of earning a living.
But they get by just fine.
In this day and age it's all about access to information and software.
More times than not you fix a car not so much with wrenches but with software updates.

Which is just one more reason I love my old Jap bikes.

Craig

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:45 pm 

That's an awesome picture Craig! My son followed my footsteps in the State Police. Legacies are a great thing!

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next