Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:09 am 

He came back to my house today on my 1970 500 Mach III, pulled off his helmet, and was laughing hysterically, and I wondered why. He said he "smoked a 1000cc bike on the highway, and the dude was struggling to keep up with him to see what he was riding."
[size=150]

Well, this is the answer, I have a bike, candy red, all original, was in storage for 20 years, has only 5000 miles on it. Jeff only live 45 mins from me, I'm in NJ. He peeked in the cylinders, and was amazed the cyl's still have a "cross hatch pattern" in them.

He put 30 miles on my bike today, tuning the carbs. I'm so jealous he can ride so good, I'm a novice, and I am TERRIFIED of this Kaw. I just got plates for it a few days ago, and it's a DEATH MACHINE!!! It popped wheelies on me in 2ng gear, I was trying to restore the bike for 2 years, I have finally resurred the bike, after my dad parked it 20some years ago. I am so freakin scared being a novice, with a bike permit not. I'm almost 50 years old, and I seen him riding the bike with one hand from my truck. Offer me 1000USD to ride this bike with one hand, and I will say (banned word) YOU!!! I'm NOT a biker and have no ridine experience, but I have so many sets of parts I have collected over the years to restore my dad's bike. I think Jeff likes my dad's bike, and in return, I gave hime a 1978 Yamaha 750 Special with a clean title to play and tune my bike up. However, he said, but new tired on it, and spokes. I am so jealous how he can handle this bike with drum brakes, when I was testing it, I almost lost control and hit a phone pole becase I am (admittingly) a newbie. It was my dads bike, and I was a passanger on it when I was a kid. Tonight I asked my mom if she was ever on it, she said: "Are you fuckin crazy?"
I replied: Well, You know when I was about 10 years old, he took me for a few rides on it."
Mom said: "Yes, I know, and trust me, he got lots of HELL for that."
She also added, I know he fell off it several times, and once had to drive to Long Island and had a few people throw it into the trunk of her 1963 Grand Prix to get it home to NJ.
He abandoned it and bought a 1978 Yamaha 750 Special, twin disc in front, and disc in rear, I gave it to Jeff today instead of paying him for his time, and the Yammi only has 9000 orig miles. I'm kinda broke at moment, so it was fair and proper as he knows how to fix anything anyway. I did not want to see Jeff leave, I wanted him to stay here and let him use my Kaw and keep tweeking it, to say the least, what more can I ask for from a nice person?

Anyway, Hi everyone, Jeff is a good rider from what I seen today, and I'm 48 today, I have to learn to respect the temperment and audacity of a killer wild crazy ass machine as a novice, I hope I never ger hurt on it, I went into a 30 or 50 skid after he synced my carbs today. He's coming back to increase my jets from 100 and 30 to 102.5 and 35 I think, I didn't make notes, but I trust that man because I was unable to find any Kawi Dealership IN NJ who would even change sparkplugs in a vintage bike as this one, yep, they all say if its over 10 years old, we wont touch it....Jeff OBVIOULSY must know what he is doing to say the VERY least, but will this make it safer for a NOVICE? LOLOLOL

If anyone wants to see the HISTORY of my dilemma looking for parts, and I have acquired a hell of a collection to resore this bike, ask Jeff or John AKA Toolman in Washington, I'm by NO MEANS a biker, or rider or enthusiastic of any sort or make of bike, it was simply my Dads bike, and he parked it over 20 years ago, and it only has 5000 miles, as evidenced by Jeffs observation of the remaining "cross hatch" in the UNscored cylinders which have over 150psi each. I already have 3 extra sets petcocks and CDI boxes for it, and a aftermarket CDI made from Mraxl in NZ (up for sale thru Jeff) , and I was offered 5K 10 days ago (without the spare parts) for the bike before Jeff even seen it, I am glad I refused the offer. Jeff says my bike is close to mint, no unusual sounds, everythign is normal, only needs jetting.
Honestly, I like watching Jeff ride the bike while I drive my Trailblazer SUV. I feel safe that way, and he sure as hell KNOWS how to handle the drum brakes on a crazy ass beast machine, I am posting this as my appreciation for the people who helped me find someone local to New Jersey to lend some help and advice. We are currently looking for spokes and tires. He says "Safety comes first" and he is right, even tho the back tire still has those rubber needles (like toothpicks) all over it, and no signs of any dry rot, even the original rubbers going to the oem airbox is very close to perfect, no breaks or tears in any of them.
I'm NOT looking to sell the bike anytime soon, but I do plan on using it on my country road a little bit (without traffic) so I don't get killed, however, I love the SOUND of the induction when I open throttle..vrooooom sucking up the air..it's like eye candy or something, bike fever, however, I hope I don't drop the bike or ever lose control and fall off it, it's so dangerously addicting, and I never had a MC licence until last week. If anyone wants pix, ask Jeff or John, they have some of the history of my restoration... I'm also new to this forum, but I will be HONEST, this bike is so CRAZY freakin SPOOKY and it already fishtailed on me!!!
I'm only in the "learning process" and I wish I had a "scooter" or something smaller, or safer, or more tame. When I was following Jeff today, everyone was turning thier heads at traffic lights at this wild origional candy red bike, it doesn't sound like a harley that goes ba boom ba boom ba boom, it goes wing wing wing wing chicken wing, wing wing wing wing, chicken wing, and I have lots of chickens at my property, so its funny to me, and I told John in Washington I want a helmet with a rooster fringe on top and he was laughing like a MF, almost crying in laughter, I was only joking, but anyway, he was loving my comedy, He knows I breed exotic birds and I am surey certain all of you people are wonderful and keeping the super fast vintage relics alive, by the way, my original SM2 Service Manual says it was published in 1790, yep, 1790, do you know my book is over 200 years old? I had no clue they made Kaws back then, but anyway, it was the printers error....maybe my SM2 is worth more than any others??? Time for bed here, it's 4am in Jersey, God Bless all you and be SAFE please!!
Regards
Casey in NJ...please stay safe!! [/size]

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:40 am 

Great story and hang on to that bike since it was your Dad's. Things we have that belonged to our parents mean so much more once they're gone (lost my Mom a week ago) and all you have then are the memories. I'm not sure if you indicated that your Dad was still around or not? It's good you respect the power and on/off switch a triple has but you can learn to ride it too. I believe your love of that H1 will increase with increased seat time on it. How about some pictures?

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:06 am 

Great story! :thumbup:

I'm not a HD guy but when Dad asked me if I wanted his HD the other day, I said "h*ll yea". I dont get to see him as much as I'd like to but looking at his machine in the garage brings back lots of good memories. He made mention about trading it on something I would like but I think I like having his old bike better than any other bike. :thumbup:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:09 am 

I don't know about respect for the power, Evans, Casey says he has next to no riding experience, and yet he fishtailed and did wheelies. Casey, it's only a death machine if you ride it like that. YouTube is full of videos of people wrecking while riding beyond their ability. Take it easy, sign up for a motorcycle safety class, and get a few thousand miles of experience before you twist the throttle enough for wheelies.

With that out of the way, congratulations, and I hope you have many years of fun riding your H1!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:10 pm 

I tried to upload some pix, it says 256KB is file size limit... of the bike my dad left behind after he passed away over 15 years ago and it's very special to me. I'll be careful using it, I forgot to mention I did ride 125cc dirt bikes until I was 20, but this is not one of those little things. Yes, I have to re-learn how to ride, it's been about 30 years since I rode anything.

The one thing I like the most about the bike is that it weighs less than 400 pounds so it wont topple over on top of me too easily LOL

Casey

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

If you look at the top of general chat, there is a thread on how to upload and and post pics.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:50 pm 

Neat story!

J

Last edited by Looney Cylinders on Sat May 19, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:37 pm 

Casey's 70

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:42 pm 

Thanks for sending out one of the pix, I still keep getting The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB. I cant reduce the size of my pix they were made in the Droid X2

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Ticket2Ride1 wrote:
Thanks for sending out one of the pix, I still keep getting The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB. I cant reduce the size of my pix they were made in the Droid X2

You may have missed my post, there is a thread on how to do it at the top of general chat. you cannot upload directly here.