Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Engine rebuilding cost
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:22 pm 

What does the average 500 rebuild run? As in drop off an engine that needs a crank, pistons, bore, proper tranny setup etc. Just a stock rebuild? Anybody done this lately? I am still in research mode so I hate to waste shop owner time when I'm not ready to make a move. Still trying to gather parts as some of you already know. I plan to do as much work myself as possible but I can only afford to do it once. So I realize I'm better off paying an expert to make sure it's gonna shift right etc. Thanks all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:39 pm 

You are looking at a tidy sum of money but you already knew that. The piston/rods/crank will run in ROUGH $, 1200-1500 figuring each piston set at 120, each rod at 110, the crank work at 550 plus some extra for labor.

Boring varies but 40 each should cover it being done correctly. Now, having that engine all apart, it would be a shame not to at the very minimum tidy up the cylinders by matching the ports or doing a mild porting job to really open your 500 up. That can run anywhere from 50-200 per cylinder depending on what they do. So figuring 100 per, you're up to 1800 total and you still need to add the gaskets and seals for the tranny. Speaking of which, to send it off to Mark in Fla will run around 600 IF you don't need a bunch of gears and forks so now your up and over 2500.

Just some quick math to start the guys answering....I'm sure there will be varied opinions but in very rough numbers.....it's a lot of money.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:57 pm 

Thats not cheap. But not quite as bad as I expected. I am looking forward to getting started on mine. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:14 pm 

I agree, it's about $2500 start to finish.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:09 pm 

Do it yourself! Horizontal cases makes it much easier.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:54 pm 

I surely will do what I can.