Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:32 pm 

hooktool wrote:
I used an mild acid-"pickle" which is used for cleaning copper and silver in metalsmithing. Looks the same as yours after. Your float bowls clearly aren't affected other than being clean, I would do the rest just like you did that float bowl. I left a cap in for a longer time and got some etching on it.

I have you phosphoric acid, lemon juice, simple green etc., heated, cold, with and without the ultrasonic. The best result was from the acid, warm. Many thing tend to turn them somewhat blackish-the zinc in the pot metal reacts to a lot of things.

Try a soft brass brush after the dip and rinse. It really makes them look like new without looking "polished". I use wd40 after which keeps them from oxidizing, which is due to the zinc in the pot metal.

I have pictures at home I'll post later.

John

Great, Thanks, Please post some pics when you get a chance. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:38 pm 

Looney Cylinders wrote:
Muriatic is pretty nasty stuff! I'd be afraid it could eat the threads holding the pilot jets etc too fast.

What you actually want is phosphoric acid. Home Depot carries this as Behr "concrete floor etch" (be sure you purchase the one labeled phosphoric acid). Timing is the key to get the colour you want. If you leave your carb parts in too long they tend to go dark.

J

Went to home Depot and picked it up, I ran 3-4 different trials on some old carbs I don't care about, I think I nailed it, I first dipped them in Chem Dip for 2 hrs then scrubbed and rinsed, Then dipped them in phosphoric acid acid for 1 minute, Then rinsed and brushed, Man they look like brand new. :D :D I will post some pics tomorrow. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks so much as that acid is much more user friendly. :P :P :P :P :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:09 am 

Phosphoric works great to remove rust from steel too. ;) It seems to mostly go after the rust, while not attacking the good steel :D .

Several years ago I used it to final clean my gas tank after clearing most of the rust by the electrolysis method. You have to "dry" the tank with alcohol immediately after dumping the rinse water, or it will start to rust within seconds :o !

J

PS: Phosphoric acid is what gives Coca Cola its "bite". As such (given enough time) Coke is reported to remove rust too!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:29 am 

I cleaned the carbs for my H1 and the ones from my KH400 with the "Behrs" from Home Depot.
Wiped off any excess gunk and dropped them in a bath of Behrs for around 3-4 minutes.
Took them out and dropped them in a stop bath of cool water.
Air blown dry with an air hose and compressor.
Then apply the NevrDull liberally and polish them up.
Look and work just like new. Added all new jets too.
Remove as much brass as you can from the carb parts.