Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:36 am 

I seem to remember that in Germany in the 70's all triples after 1976 were fitted with a side stand switch that lit a red light in the top of the centre console if the stand was left down with the ignition on ? - Maybe someone from Germany can confirm this :eh: . . . or correct me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:13 am 

Awful but you still alive happily, Thierry PONCET, a froggie died on his S1 some years ago when he forgot his side stand and Brian Mac OWen, who sadly died two months ago could have also forgot his side stand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:46 am 

Glad you are essentially ok. The abrasion under the boot is pretty common, simple really just transferred movement, had it a couple of times myself.
I wouldn't have a cutout switch myself, maybe a light with a microswitch as Jim suggested. If you really wanted a cutout look to some 80's Kawasaki's 80's Z's,GT's and GPz's came with them here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:50 am 

Glad you are well enough to tell the tale.

And J.P you are correct....it still makes me shudder when I think about it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:25 am 

R.B. wrote:
I seem to remember that in Germany in the 70's all triples after 1976 were fitted with a side stand switch that lit a red light in the top of the centre console if the stand was left down with the ignition on ? - Maybe someone from Germany can confirm this :eh: . . . or correct me.

well I'm not German, but I know that every bike now (since '76 ??) has a system that as soon as you level you're bike from the side stand it has to flip back.
I've ridden Günter Sanders's H1F and recal a system with two springs making sure the side stand flips back as there is no more load on it.

sorry to hear of you're accident

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:51 am 

Sorry to hear about your crash. The important thing is that you are OK and not hurt too badly.

Rigging a light would be easy...reed switch and a magnet. Rigging an auto up sidestand is going to take some thought.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 am 

Leon wrote:
R.B. wrote:

well I'm not German, but I know that every bike now (since '76 ??) has a system that as soon as you level you're bike from the side stand it has to flip back.
I've ridden Günter Sanders's H1F and recal a system with two springs making sure the side stand flips back as there is no more load on it.

sorry to hear of you're accident

I've seen a system on BMWs that automatically retract the sidestand when you stand the bike up. I've also seen more than a couple of BMWs lying on their side when the rider realized that they forgot something and got right back off the bike and started to walk away.

A friend of mine is a scooter dealer. A couple of the Chinese models that he sells won't start if the kickstand is down. I think that would also be an easy mod for the triples.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:52 am 

1st off VERY glad to see you escaped without serious injury. That had to be one scary ride.

And as has been stated, it sucks to see the bike all wadded up, but the important thing is that you are ok.

There are so many "cheap" sidestand switches on ebay that would be easy to modify and fit to these bikes. Personally, I like the plunger type that, when fully extended will not allow a bike to start.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:15 am 

I too am glad you are OK and bikes can be repaired. Sorry you have to go through this.

I don't have trouble with any bike getting the side stand up besides my H1!? The H2 is never a problem but I have left with the side stand down on the H1 many times. I don't know what the deal is.

A switch connected through the neutral light so you can start it, but if you loose the neutral light (put it in gear) with the stand down the engine looses spark. Most new bikes are like this. It doesn't sound hard to do.

From your experience I think I will build something for the H1.

Now if I could remember to put the center stand up......

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:35 am 

Since we're on the subject, it is also possible for your side stand to drop down while riding. This was happening to me on our ride around Lake Huron 2009. Once on the freeway for an extended 80MPH run the stand vibrated down -- it didn't lock, so when a left sweeper came up it scraped and sparked and scared the crap out of me, but that was all. The spring is fine, but it is an S3 stand on an H2...just something else to check.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next