Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:21 pm 

Hi Guys.
It pains me a terrific amount to make a post like this because we all know I'd much rather be posting fly by vids or the such, but here's Dave's reality.

Me and a pal took off down a rural hi speed road and my sidestand didn't get kicked up. I was riding my blue S2(S1) that we all recently saw and heard in the vid that I recently posted here. All was fine and great until a left bend met me at 70mph. I was of course forced to go straight and down into an embankment where I plowed a 50ft. swath through thick vines, pricker bushes, weeds, and apparently bounced off an immovable smallish tree.

I'm obviously here to tell about it, but not without a dislocated shoulder/clavical, 2 sprained wrists, scraped and swollen shins and a nasty abrasion on the top of my left foot that makes no sense, as my boots stayed on, along with the expected full body, day after soreness. And yes, the near show condition baby triple has seen better days. Fairly major front end damage and a dented tank. Somehow the chambers faired 98% unscathed !!

My shoei RF-1000 did it's job and is ready for the trash. The Tourmaster armoured riding coat did a remarkable job also and needs a good wash.

Does anybody know of a sidestand safety switch kit of some sort that is on the market ?
Dave.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

...and a smelly Honda CB350-Four

Last edited by Charcoal on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:31 pm 

Man, sorry to read this! Glad it wasn't worse for you from your injuries. Get some good pain meds and heal quickly.

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:41 pm 

That's awful, but good on you for wearing proper gear! Shame about your bike...your vids got me back in the garage working on my 250!

Heal up soon. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:45 pm 

This is why we wear the gear.....so we can tell the story, learn from it and rebuild the bike. Sorry for your off and heal up soon!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:58 pm 

Dave, very sorry to hear the story, but glad you're fairly OK. Good thing you paid extra for the titanium chambers option.

All you need to do if you want an interlock switch is to mount a sealed microswitch style switch so the sidestand depresses the arm or it kills the ignition. Another way is to attach a hefty rubber finger that hits the road before the stand hits, so it flips the stand up without altering your direction.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:43 pm 

Glad ya made out alive the dreaded side stand down has been a tombstone for more than a few, I saw my friend on an RD400 do the same back in 78 he survived too.

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:00 pm 

Thanks for posting your experience. It is good to remind us all to stay on top of everything when we ride. I bet that whole event happened in the time it took to blink. I hope your recovery goes smoothly and quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Glad it wasn't any worse. ((it was bad enough)
As Jim said, a switch or rubber bumper. And didn't we just have a big thread on this? :?:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:01 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
And didn't we just have a big thread on this? :?:

One of the problems of getting old is the seemingly faster passing of time. It was on the old board six months ago:

http://www.kawasakitriplesworldwide.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60968&start=0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:22 pm 

Jeezum, sorry to hear about that and I'm glad you're alright. It took a lot of courage to post this reminder. Thank you.