Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: H2 Carbs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:13 am 

R.B. wrote:
Nigel72iv wrote:
Silver metal coated brass slides, not steel, Both the Plastic and brass pins locating slides can fail, with light or heavy slides and quite scary consequences.

:thumbup:
Nigel72iv wrote:
The recall was regarding needles breaking and being half digested by the engine :shock:

That IS what it says on the recall sheet :eh: However, I have never come across an engine that digested the needle, nor have I come across any dealer from back in the day that rebuilt an engine because of this :think: I Think the first mod was to replace the slides and then they just replaced the entire Carb - All Models after "H2"would have the anodised slides :thumbup:

Thanks Rick and all of you for the help. I will post some pics.Sometimes I feel like banging my head on the wall,especially when I get a box of parts like these that are all mixed up. :banghead :banghead :banghead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:27 pm 

Ok guys here are a few more questions as I picked up more carbs, I noticed on the 74 H2 carbs that the inside is brass plugged (see pics) compared to the 72-73 carbs, Can I use those body's on my 73 H2-A, Also I put picks of the carbs on and show the silver sliders that are very heavy versus the gold ones that are light. Also guys I have been told the best way to clean the carbs to bring back the finish is to soak in muratic acid for a short time, can anybody tell me what works best, I know I cant get them to look like new but would like to know how to get the best result. Also can I leave the brass inserts in the carbs when dipping in acid.?????????????
Please give me your input on these carbs. :D :D :D :D :D
Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure how to get the factory look, but it liiks like the brass plug is in the bowl vent, so either would work fine. You can follow the path and see where it runs to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:04 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Not sure how to get the factory look, but it liiks like the brass plug is in the bowl vent, so either would work fine. You can follow the path and see where it runs to be sure.

I take it that the silver heavy sliders came on the recall carbs ?????

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:29 am 

mach3restore wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:

They were on the recalled carbs. Replacements had lightweight anodized ones.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:43 am 

Nigel72iv wrote:
mach3restore wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:

They were on the recalled carbs. Replacements had lightweight anodized ones.

Thanks so much, I'm learning more and more thanks to all you guys, :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:42 pm 

As far as the brass "bowl vent restrictors" go....

The only reason that I can think of that they would be there for is to reduce the rate of float bowl evaporation when the bike is parked... ie: carbs evap too quickly.... smell maybe, have to use prime position on petcock after only 2 days of being parked ??

They do not affect performance or jetting in any way... I have these on my 1972 H2. :)

Ivan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:10 pm 

I should have read Dales SB's sooner - just never got around to it - a wealth of info! There's a good amount of things I did not even think about and fixes - heck my OEM shop manual even has a update!

I have steel slides on my H2. Couple years ago the slide pin moved out and allowed the slide to do it's own thing. I happened to be on a really curvy road and when I let up on the throttle it wound up even more - scared the crap outta me. Found the problem PDQ on the roadside and a little duct-tape around it got me home and I just punched it a little to keep in place - been fine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:37 pm 

Ivan wrote:
As far as the brass "bowl vent restrictors" go....

The only reason that I can think of that they would be there for is to reduce the rate of float bowl evaporation when the bike is parked... ie: carbs evap too quickly.... smell maybe, have to use prime position on petcock after only 2 days of being parked ??

They do not affect performance or jetting in any way... I have these on my 1972 H2. :)

Ivan

Thanks so much Ivan, I will be using them on my 72 H2. So just change the float bowls and they will work fine,???? :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:40 pm 

BarryB wrote:
I should have read Dales SB's sooner - just never got around to it - a wealth of info! There's a good amount of things I did not even think about and fixes - heck my OEM shop manual even has a update!

I have steel slides on my H2. Couple years ago the slide pin moved out and allowed the slide to do it's own thing. I happened to be on a really curvy road and when I let up on the throttle it wound up even more - scared the crap outta me. Found the problem PDQ on the roadside and a little duct-tape around it got me home and I just punched it a little to keep in place - been fine.

I can see on the inside as the pins are pretty much gone, I will post pics if I can get the camera flash to let me see inside.Glad you made it out of that ordeal as I have heard of some wide open throttle stuck stories. :o :o :o :o :o