Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:32 am 

Cody, I like the last lines of Tony's article:

Quote:
MMM: One last thing: the paper is sending me out to ride in a hill climb tomorrow and I’ve never ridden a dirt bike. Any advice?

Evel: Never ridden a dirt bike? You just stand there and watch like a good little boy.

With slight modification, it might come in handy next time some guy who's never ridden a motorcycle asks if he can try my H2. (I've really had that happen)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:17 am 
Site Admin

I agree with Cody, Evil was a showman. and people do got to see crashes, which he did in spades. The Sake canyon fiasco was it for me with Evil. Major fail.

There was a motorcycle jumper in my hometown that made it "semi-big" and won a ABC jump off in the 70's. I won't even mention his name as he was one of the biggest asses I had ever met. He could ride though, even jumped over a helicopter.

Time moves on, Evils jumps are kids play now.

Now this is a JUMP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b33YSVSrRVo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:27 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:

Agreed! Balls of steel to make that jump down!
But, it would have been much cooler on a Harley :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:14 pm 

ABC's Wide World of Sports would always show Evel's big jumps on a Saturday afternoon. Days gone by..... He was quite the showman and did accomplish alot when suspension technology hadn't progressed as it did later.

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

JayDav wrote:

Can't remember how old you are John, but when I was kid, Evel was all we had...........and it was all good...... :thumbup:

54 Jay. When I saw "On any Sunday", my motorcycle heros were Mert, and Malcolm. Then Kenny, Eddie, Freddie and a few others. They were motorcycle riders, and I watched them to see them race. Not really interested in some guy on a Harley crash his brains out for the umteenth time.............. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 pm 

Can anyone explain why evil would need someone to do stunts for him cause I didn't know that daredevils needed to stop in the middle of a jump and get there stunt double out. :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:16 pm 

In the 70's when I was a kid Evel was the man I watched all his jumps most kids in my neighborhood did, Evil was cool, then he came out with that stupid movie man that was weak :thumbdown: , he should have just done jumps and stunts and talked less, the man had talent on two wheels thats for sure..

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:41 pm 

Evel jumps seem pretty tame by today's standards, even given the technology advances. That said though, this generation of daredevils (Travis Pastranan et al) look upon him as a hero and inspiration. That counts for something in my book.

Back in the day I wasn't a huge fan nor a detractor, just an average fan of watching crazy stuff. His skills didn't seem that impressive but his balls were. Then when he did that Snake River "jump" he really lost credibility with me. It looked to me like there was never any intention of actually clearing the canyon, just shoot in the air and pop the parachute.

Still, in retrospect I appreciate his contribution to moto history. :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:50 pm 

strokerface wrote:
It looked to me like there was never any intention of actually clearing the canyon, just shoot in the air and pop the parachute.

Jim, I just read a little about that. Apparently he actually got over to the far side, but because the chute deployed too soon, the strong headwind blew him back into the canyon. He landed on the near side of the water, and the article said it's lucky he didn't go in, because his harness jammed and he probably would have drowned.

But you're right, that stunt was a fiasco from the start.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:03 pm 

Jim wrote:
strokerface wrote:
It looked to me like there was never any intention of actually clearing the canyon, just shoot in the air and pop the parachute.

Jim, I just read a little about that. Apparently he actually got over to the far side, but because the chute deployed too soon, the strong headwind blew him back into the canyon. He landed on the near side of the water, and the article said it's lucky he didn't go in, because his harness jammed and he probably would have drowned.

But you're right, that stunt was a fiasco from the start.

The power of Google is much greater than my flimsy memory, so thanks for the look up. I do now recall the "he could have drowned" part.