Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:53 pm 

I have a whole bunch of carbs to clean so would like to get one, any input would be appreciated. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:58 pm 

Good Stuff!!!! The only bad thing we have found is you can't put the brass floats in becuase the solution will eat the lead solder. I recomend one if you can get your monies worth out of it. :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 pm 

n2trips wrote:
Good Stuff!!!! The only bad thing we have found is you can't put the brass floats in becuase the solution will eat the lead solder. I recomend one if you can get your monies worth out of it. :thumbup: :thumbup:

It probably depends on the solution you use - "Simple green" is a safe, if slower, alternative. I use one at work. They can be a bit finicky, maintenance wise - keep the level correct, etc. I am certainly not the expert on ultra-sonics!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:24 pm 

Someone on here used to have one made out of an old belt sander or something i thought.

If i remember right it was a giant tupperware container with some water/baking soda solution they made and had the sander or whatever it was on a low rpm. Sat and jiggled away for a few hours and the results were pretty incredible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:30 pm 

I have a Branson unit with built in heater and have always used cleaner recommend for these machines.
They work OK but don't expect amazing results.
I always soaked my carbs in standard dip type cleaner before ultrasonic.
Having just discovered Evaporust I wonder how well that would work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:34 pm 

I have a cheapo harbor freight unit. Heat on with simple green works well. I guess it depends on how bad your carbs are. I always cleaned ones from running bikes in need of tuneups/going throughs. if it came from the bottom of a pond.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:16 pm 

Citizen Clive wrote:
I have a whole bunch of carbs to clean so would like to get one, any input would be appreciated. :thumbup:

Be careful using an ultrasonic on old carbs. The tiny brass plugs pressed into air passages frequently will fall out as well as the pin that holds the needle jet. They can be repaired, but if you don't realize the plugs are gone, you're in for lots of fun trying to figure out why they don't work right.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:34 pm 

I have a medical grade l&r, had it for 15+ years, used to clean clock movements in it. fantastic quality. Never had a problem using it, eating solder? I use berrymans carb cleaner and 25% wd 40. works fantastic. if something falls out in the ultrasonic, it was already mechanically loose and being held in by slime and sludge, jut my .02

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:34 pm 

I agree with m on this one, if it fell out, it was probably only being held in by goop and dirt.

I have an older ultrasonic cleaner, not heated, got it from my pal the jeweler when he got a new fancy, schmaltzy high dollar jeweler one.

I use solvents, a cleaner called L.A.'s Awesome (I get it from the thrift store, a buck for a quart), and Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda in warm or hot water (NOT A & H baking soda) same stuff I use with a battery charger to remove rust from the insides of steel fuel tanks.

I looked at the harbor Freight ultrasonics, they are plastic, and more than likely work just fine for light duty. The one I got was a commercial stainless steel one, and it works well, doesn't break down, it just isn't glitzy jeweler pretty.

When I first got my cleaner, from my 'pal', the jeweler rat, he kept the basket for it. Little did I know that I should have used a stainless steel basket, and used a regular steel basket. Not great results, but not that bad. I finally figured it out and built a few different baskets. I got even with him, though, when he needed his RZ500 top end redone, I did it for him, but, hopped that baby right up, full on trigger pull.

He should'a just given me that basket for the cleaner!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:36 pm 

Tuner, do you use the Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda on carbs? If so, what mixture do you use? I just bought a cleaner. Thanks!