Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H2 VS. H1 IGGY
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:25 am 

Can anyone comment on the 2 iggy designs as to ease of starting/perf/maint?

I usually dabble in the static magnetic pick-ups but had wonders on the flying magnet for the H2/H1D.

cliff

Post subject: Re: H2 VS. H1 IGGY
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:11 am 

I like the three separate systems that the H2 and H1D use, since if something fails, you can usually still ride home. It also doesn't have the carbon brushes and commutator of the late H1 system, and it allows you to easily set timing for the three cylinders independently. If, for example, your crankshaft is a degree off of perfect 120-120-120 phasing, you can still set the timing where it should be.

As far as starting, there's no practical difference. The only maintenance difference is the late H1system's mechanical "distributor" that has mechanical parts that are subject to wear. One advantage is the reduced cost of a simpler CDI unit, and another is that the single magneto coil seems to be less prone to failure than the low speed coil in the H2 system, although Strokerface here is currently having trouble with his late H1 single magneto coil.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:48 am 

Thanx Jim.

In particular static or flying magnet, if you saw any pros/cons.

cliff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:34 am 

I'm really not sure what you're asking here. All the triples use moving magnets and fixed pickup coils. As long as lines of flux are crossed, it really doesn't matter. If you want the pickup to work at very low rpm, you need to go to something like a hall effect sensor, but with the magneto systems the low rpm limit is probably making enough high voltage DC to get a spark, rather than to get a big enough trigger signal.

I made a few 12v CDI early H1 systems with hall effect sensors. If the engine is warm and ready to run, you can start it with your hand. One piston going over center gently and it starts running. I still prefer the H2 type system for its simplicity and excellent high rpm performance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:27 am 

Interesting.
Actually my H1-E/f has magnetized pick ups. Just a ferrous piece(trigger vane), slid by the coil triggers.
The H2's are not magnetized, and rely on the flying magnets on the trigger rotor.

No advantage one way or another? (Regardless of distributor and junk that goes with)

cliff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:01 am 

The pickups just generate a signal to trigger the CDI unit to fire. The main power to the CDI unit comes from the magneto coil(s) in the alternator. The configuration of the magnet(s) relative to the pickup coils doesn't make any difference as long as the pickup can generate a volt or so by the time the magneto coil(s) are putting out enough to make a spark.