Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:21 pm 

I had a 120 mile errand to run Thursday, and it was a perfect day for a ride. Between the 73 degree air and the fall colors, it left me in a pretty good mood. I think any upcoming rides will probably require my 1-piece cold weather suit though.

Who else is still riding?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:41 am 

Good for you Pard. Nothing out here even though CO weather has been mild I've winterized everything.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:33 am 

BarryB wrote:
Good for you Pard. Nothing out here even though CO weather has been mild I've winterized everything.

Well then, maybe we'll have to look forward to another minibike snow video. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShisVbR4iU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:53 am 

I haven't got to ride any of my bikes since the end of September. My wife thought it was time for me to learn how to put in a new kitchen and by the time I finished it riding weather was gone for the year. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:57 am 

GUTS wrote:
I haven't got to ride any of my bikes since the end of September. My wife thought it was time for me to learn how to put in a new kitchen and by the time I finished it riding weather was gone for the year. :cry:

Look at the bright side... now you have two kitchens!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:03 pm 

The weather was pretty good last week here in Texas. I got out for short rides on the H2, Water Buffalo, Wes Cooley Replica and my Tenere 700. The actual rides were nothing special but I especially enjoyed getting out on all my old bikes the same week. Its been a long time since I have done that.

It was also the first good ride on my H2 since installing my old Jemco Chambers with Spec II silencers. Bike ran great.

To top it off I moved my barn find 69 H1 from the shed where it has been parked since I bought it 7 years ago to the garage to start working on it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:26 pm 

I’ve had a lot of good rides, recently the rides on the H2 have been really good, coming back from a complete teardown. It used to get vibrating past 60, now it doesn’t even start in zinging until 80 mph.

I started out a couple of months ago trying to search out and deal with the issues that kept me from enjoying long rides on the 750, I bought new tires, changed out a chain with tight spots and loose spots, carefully retuned the carb balance, just kept trying to find annoying things that kept the ride from being fun.

Then it sent part of a main bearing through the center cylinder, so I rebuilt it still thinking of long distance comfort. I truly think it’s better than it’s ever been. 75 mph on an H2 and the thing not trying to shake you off.

Too bad I have to keep a gas station in sight……

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:53 pm 

Cool, Simmons1 and Battleax.

Joe, it took a little doing, but I average around 30 mpg with my H2. Not that it's much to brag about. :) Are you in that range?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:25 am 

I haven’t had a long enough run since the rebuild but before when I rode it calmly I got 26 mpg and if I rode aggressively I got 26 mpg, I know it makes no sense but that’s how it worked out.

It’s getting cold here, 19° this morning but I’m still hoping to get a good long ride in before it goes out behind the shed.

If you own a Kawasaki triple, you always got something to tinker with, maybe that’s the attraction to me…..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:40 am 

battleax wrote:
I haven’t had a long enough run since the rebuild but before when I rode it calmly I got 26 mpg and if I rode aggressively I got 26 mpg, I know it makes no sense but that’s how it worked out.

I never noticed much difference between calm and aggressive either. I have had a really long ride on a hot day suddenly propel it to 40 mpg. When that happens I can turn off the ignition switch while at speed and it keeps running for a while. Obviously it's "dieseling" at that point, and it probably does it only after some carbon has built up in the combustion chambers.