Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best Steering damper
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:43 am 

I'm building up a 72 H2 (not making it totally stock for the year) and considering my options for a steering damper. What do people like better? Is the original damper in the steering stem better or worse than the frame mounted one? Are there better options?

I rode for years with the early version and never noticed it doing much, guess my front tire was well balanced. I won't be racing, just tooling about.

Thanks,

Dave

Post subject: Re: Best Steering damper
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:21 am 

The friction damper in the frame is useless. The hydraulic damper is good. I think it's important, but a few think it's less important. If you ever end up in a tank slapper you'll think it's important.

The tab on the frame that the hydraulic damper mounts to need to be reinforced. They tend to break, allowing the damper to get stuck in the head fins, either causing broken fins or a crash. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3268

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:13 pm 

Was the hydraulic damper original equipment or an option?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:32 pm 

Yeddy911 wrote:
Was the hydraulic damper original equipment or an option?

That may have depended on the market, standard on an Australian H2. The aftermarket ones are pretty much OEM, I forget the brand name... I have an aftermarket H2 damper and an Ohlins damper on my ZX10R, they feel exactly the same!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:37 am 

Another option is looking into mods to improve the handling. I believe mine has some combo of different rear shocks and a smaller front wheel but it's been a while since I did it. I would be lying if I said this was a great handling bike but it's decent for 1970s, after the mods. Has never done anything really spooky handling wise. But that's just my perspective, if you feel more comfortable with a damper by all means...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:08 pm 

Steering dampers are insurance if nothing else. If something unusual happens to start a tank slapper, it's really nice to have a damper, no matter what kind of motorcycle it is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:31 am 

Biggest improvement, aside from better shocks and better fork damping, is to reduce rake and trail. The H2 has far too much of both, the H2B/C improved on that a little, but they still need less. Note that once you get close to 26 degrees of rake, a hydraulic steering damper is more important. The stock one, i think, is a nice unit. I see nothing wrong with stock frame rigidity, and the swingarm is ok as well.