Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Transmission Oil
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:21 am 

Looks like I'm having to change the oil seal in the H2 I just got. According to the Original owner has a Purple Haze undercut Transmission in it. I use to run 80w gear oil in one of the bikes I had and the first one 20+ years ago I think was just 10w40. Can I get some opinions on what everyone recommend for gear oil now? Been 10 years since my last H2 so need to get caught up. Bike besides the Tranny supposedly still pretty much stock, first bore, stock carbs, heavy duty clutches and springs, reproduction exhaust.....

One last thing, out of all the others I have had, this one still has the factory fuel petcock and lines. I always had a Pingel on off petcock with clear fuel lines, any opinions on that? I understand the fuel lines on the Pingel are larger than the carbs and you can only push so much down a tube into a smaller hole, so I understand not going to gain any HP, but as far as function is there a reason to switch?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Transmission Oil
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:54 am 

Here's a page from the resource site that should help: http://kawatriple.com/faq.htm

The main page of that site is here: http://kawatriple.com/

I'm running the stock petcock on my H2R ported, reeded '72 H2, as I have been for 44 years now. It has never let me down, although I did change the 4-hole gasket and seals in it a few years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:24 pm 

85W-90 natural gear oil, NOT synthetic. Do not add special additives, the clutch won't like any of them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:11 pm 

Thank you for the input, the faq sheet is perfect! One last thing I need to deal with is the center stand..... The person I got the bike from gave me the center stand but it looks like him or whom ever did the frame paint has banged it on the ground and one of the holes is out of round.... Any ideas of how to fix this without welding a new one on there. Its not off much but its enough that it will not fit. I know they make tools to "Re Round" copper but I cant seem to find anything that will do steel. I have a varibit that I could probably use to round it out but if someone knows a better way please let me know.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:42 pm 

Maybe work a marlin spike into it. I took my center stand off around 1978, so I haven't had any trouble with mine since then. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:47 pm 

When I raced a H1/H2 the centre and side-stands came off, (for obvious reasons), it was a basic rule. There was always a van to lean your bike against. I hate centre stand, sides I can tolerate... :lol: Though I notice my Avatar pic. has a centre-stand, that was in a long-distance "Strictly showroom standard" race, big at the time in Aus. (Got protested in that race for "hand-finished ports", took a while to prove they all came like that!!)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:28 pm 

RODH2 wrote:
When I raced a H1/H2 the centre and side-stands came off, (for obvious reasons), it was a basic rule. There was always a van to lean your bike against. I hate centre stand, sides I can tolerate... :lol: Though I notice my Avatar pic. has a centre-stand, that was in a long-distance "Strictly showroom standard" race, big at the time in Aus. (Got protested in that race for "hand-finished ports", took a while to prove they all came like that!!)

Were you in the famous '72 Six-Hour that Joe Eastmure 'won'?

'76 RE5A
'80 GS1000ST
'82 GSX1100SZ
'82 GSX1100SXZ
'86 RG500G
'09 DR650SE
'10 GSX1300R

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:40 pm 

pmcburney wrote:
RODH2 wrote:

Were you in the famous '72 Six-Hour that Joe Eastmure 'won'?

Well, Joe didn't win.... :lol: :think: and I wasn't there. We were 4th outright, 1st privateer in the Adelaide 3 hour about the same time!! Raced at Mallala, Adelaide International, and Mac. Park, (Mt.Gambier) thru the '70's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:29 pm 

RODH2 wrote:

since when were H2 s ports hand finished all the barrells I have are sand cast !!, and Joe WON , I was there in 72 as pitcrew for my future bosses Honda 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:50 pm 

AER005 wrote:
RODH2 wrote:

since when were H2 s ports hand finished all the barrells I have are sand cast !!, and Joe WON , I was there in 72 as pitcrew for my future bosses Honda 4

My early H2 (H2E05758) had lightly hand finished (deburred really) ports, which I see all the time, not so much on the later H2-B's, I reckon. And Joe is an urban hero, but get him to show you the trophy!! :lol: