Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:39 pm 

Been hard to find good old days are over.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:02 pm 

i've seen multiples on eBay over the past few months.....all doing well over 500.00 and as high as 800.00. I guess it depends on how bad you need one?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:49 pm 

I am bidding on one now will see.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:59 pm 

Can always fit a H1 trans in it....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:12 pm 

I have never found an H1 transmission, save the H1R, to be strong enough for an H2. Some of the ratios are close, but the root diameters and number of gear flutes is lacking for the extra torque of even a stock H2 street bike.

I remember back at the end of 1972, when we all went to the factory, I asked Ken Yoshida why they hadn't done a 6 speed transmission, and he told me "too expensive", so, I asked, cost to build the full transmission, shafts, bearings spacers, gears shift drum, forks, circlips, the whole trans, related to U.S dollars of the day, wait for it, American funds for the whole transmission, $59.00, give or take a quarter of a dollar. The 6 speed would have brought the production costs to well over $68.00, U.S. funds.

Think about that.

Later, I asked Yogi from the Z1 assembly line why they didn't slather a line of Kawasaki Bond case seal on Z1 rubber inlet carb manifolds before bolting the manifolds to the head, as they got hot, bowed out, and leaked. Those leaks caused a fair amount of labor time in the dealerships to pull the carbs, and manifolds, add sealer, reassemble, all on warrantee funding. The answer I got, "that would cost the factory about a dollar, U.S. funds, TOO EXPENSIVE"

ONE DOLLAR MORE, and about a minute of added engine build time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:51 pm 

Yeah, what Dave said, a H1 box doesn't really work in a H2. I have done it before and there is enough difference in ratios to make a difference to how everything works. It's not happy in the lower gears. I mean why did Kawasaki bother to build another gearbox for the H2!? (I know they turn at different speeds etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:50 pm 

Ratios between both headsets are virtually same, the way they get there is the difference.

H1 has less area, and more teeth than same gear in an H2, because the finer teeth of the H1 cannot take the torque the H2 develops.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:01 pm 

H2 with H2 gearbox, drag race with Z1....Win. H2 with H1 gearbox, drag race with same Z1...Lose. Not many have made this change to a street H2, the lower ratios are more linear in a H2 box. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Many have gone with the H1 trannies in H2s with no problems. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:28 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Many have gone with the H1 trannies in H2s with no problems. :thumbup:

I'd think a stock H2 engine would be fine with the H1 transmission. After all, your 84 RWHP H1 stresses the trans more than that.