Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: exol oil
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:57 pm 

Hi
Have seen 5L exol oil fully synthentic optima racing oil for £35
Do'es anyone use this oil and can they recommend it I use silkelene but at £15 a litre there's a big diference
gary

Post subject: Re: exol oil
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:19 pm 

You have expensive taste in oil!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:14 pm 

I've been burning Pennzoil synthetic outboard for years, went and bought a gallon the other day at close to $20 and I thought that was high. Can't touch that stuff. :shock:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:53 pm 

I've been told that outboard oils, being for liquid cooled motors, can't take the heat of an air cooled engine. :think: Of course I've also heard other people run them with no problems... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:25 pm 

ThreePipesSmokin wrote:
I've been told that outboard oils, being for liquid cooled motors, can't take the heat of an air cooled engine. :think: Of course I've also heard other people run them with no problems... :roll:

Yup. I've been using generic TC-W3 2-stroke oil for several years now, sold for outboards, chainsaws, and motorcycles. Walmart has it for $10/gallon. It's the same shade of blue, same smell, same feel, etc., of at least half of the specialized 2-stroke oils on the market. The first time I got it, it was in a 5-gallon bucket, unmarked, and sold by a chainsaw supply company.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:29 pm 

Maybe too many "oil discussions" but it makes me think about it more.
Jim wrote:
ThreePipesSmokin wrote:

Yup. I've been using generic TC-W3 2-stroke oil for several years now, sold for outboards, chainsaws, and motorcycles. Walmart has it for $10/gallon. It's the same shade of blue, same smell, same feel, etc., of at least half of the specialized 2-stroke oils on the market. The first time I got it, it was in a 5-gallon bucket, unmarked, and sold by a chainsaw supply company.

Whats the performance and lifespan been? (Jim- Since you've been riding an H2 for many many more years that me)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:39 pm 

smoff83 wrote:
Maybe too many "oil discussions" but it makes me think about it more.
Jim wrote:
ThreePipesSmokin wrote:

Whats the performance and lifespan been? (Jim- Since you've been riding an H2 for many many more years that me)

Most of the miles on my H2 were using Kawsaki K-2, which I used to buy by the case, cheaply. I have only a few thousand miles on the generic blue oil, but I haven't seen any unusual wear, scoring, fouling, etc.. I have a lot of hard hours on my Stihl chainsaw, Lawn-Boy mower, various weed trimmers, etc., using that oil too. Not a recommendation, just an obervation.

I have a feeling that more than one oil marketer uses a lot of terms like "specially formulated for...", and then buys the generic oil in 55 gallon drums and repackages it in spiffy looking bottles with a spiffy price. But then I have a cynical side. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:04 pm 

I ran the cheapest I could find in my kdx for 15 plus years of hard riding and never fouled a plug or even took the head off and it climbed up anything i wanted to me oil is oil as long as it smokes and now i bet if it would have been a honda i would be talking different. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:09 pm 

ThreePipesSmokin wrote:

13000+ miles on the current bore. :mrgreen:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:35 pm 

usernameandpassword wrote:
13000+ miles on the current bore. :mrgreen:

Well, you did say synthetic. That may change the game a little... :thumbup: