Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:40 am 

I helped my friend Roger at the Fall Harvest Show at Rough & Tumble in Kinzers Pa ( he had surgery a month ago and isn't up to heavy pulling to start the engines )

I got to start some very rare ( and expensive ) engines today. :cool1:

Started off with two hot air engines, a 4" Rider & Ericson

and a 8" made by American Machine Company ( if I remember correctly-my info pic didn't turn out clear )

I learned all the oil points including oiling the pistons before starting them. Both of these have propane burners and started quite easily once they warmed up. These engines would be used to pump water.

~~~~

Then it was onto the 10 hp White and Middleton which also runs on Propane. This is a hot tube engine.

This was a little more difficult to start but caught and started after about 6 or 7 revolutions. This was the first 10 hp I've started.

~~

The it was onto the Otto and Langen. This is one of the earliest engines around, it was built in 1869 This one runs on hydrogen gas and actually started quite easily. This is a very unique engine as the flame is transfered in a block to the combustion chamber where it ignites the charge. The resulting controlled explosion drives the piston / gear rack assembly up and between the weight of the assembly, the vacuum of the cooling charge and the movement of the rachet assemble, it drives the flywheel.

I was lucky enough to start this engine three times today.

The rachet assembly drops the piston as the flame pocket moves to the combustion chamber

and it drives the rack up

1868 Otto Langen - Oldest running gas engine in the USA - YouTube

~~

Then later in the morning we got the 10 hp Springfield running. Lots of oilers and places to oil.

Built in 1897 and it's overhead cam and fuel injected

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:07 am 

thanks for that :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:21 pm 

oldman wrote:
thanks for that :thumbup:

Welcome

Here's a propane fired fan that worked great. works on the same hot air principles as the water pumps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:50 pm 

Too bad someone changed the guard on the fan. Good thing the same guy didn't put guards on all the flywheels on the bigger engines! I love machinery like that, and would have had a blast watching or helping, so I know how much fun you had.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:27 pm 

Jim wrote:
Too bad someone changed the guard on the fan. Good thing the same guy didn't put guards on all the flywheels on the bigger engines! I love machinery like that, and would have had a blast watching or helping, so I know how much fun you had.

I was in my glory. 8-) I love mechanical things and if they're old, it's even better.

I'll have to take another look at it next time I'm out to see if it's original or not. It's probably on there to protect stupid people from themselves. :lol:

They had another "heat" powered fan too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:38 pm 

Now that guard is original.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:50 am 

I am hooked on hot air engines Stirlings , I am at present make one with my lathe they are used in some really interesting places eg the hovell telescope in powered by a solar Stirling , they could change the supply of power systems if there was more put into it but the petrol , coal , companies wouldnt like it free power from the sun or thermal from the hot springs , the varied ways are endless , thanks for showing them , I went to buy a rider 6in engine at a farm clearance last yr and couldnt afford to bid on it when I found how much they wanted :oops: , $20,000 Au I wanted to pay 500 +

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:33 am 

Awesome - super share. I dig old engines, connections, etc - just the machining can hold my attention for a long time just staring. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:58 am 

Must be nice to be able to work on low rpm-high torque stuff !!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:20 pm 

Love those old motors, I wonder if you can fit one a H2 frame?