Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:24 am 

I tried to do it from my phone I guess it didn't work.
ImageUntitled by Joe Herriges, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:51 am 

Seeing I'm on the "new" topic, my new exhaust, welding is getting better!
ImageUntitled by Joe Herriges, on FlickrImagehttps://flic.kr/p/Htxkif by Joe Herriges, on Flickr
Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/HtxkQ7 by Joe Herriges, on Flickr
Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/HtxkYo by Joe Herriges, on Flickr
Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/Htxm2u by Joe Herriges, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:07 am 

I just received a set of light pull throttle springs for the 34s installed on the Phoenix Project I ordered from Niche Cycle. The stock springs were carpal tunnel waiting to happen, so several years ago I put a set of H1 carb springs in which somewhat alleviated the problem. I am hoping for a little easier pull and less wrist fatigue. I hope to install them tomorrow and work on finishing up Deals Gap prep.

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:57 pm 

demus wrote:
Seeing I'm on the "new" topic, my new exhaust, welding is getting better[/url]Untitled by Joe Herriges, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/Htxkif]Image_

Weld bead looks a little high, you shouldn’t need to be adding any filler rod s long as your fit up is good except a dab or 2 here and there, mostly the “4” way corners where each segment and seem meet up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:40 pm 

oxford wrote:
demus wrote:
Seeing I'm on the "new" topic, my new exhaust, welding is getting better[/url]Untitled by Joe Herriges, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/Htxkif]Image_

Weld bead looks a little high, you shouldn’t need to be adding any filler rod s long as your fit up is good except a dab or 2 here and there, mostly the “4” way corners where each segment and seem meet up.

Agreed. Ive made two sets of these. one with a little filler and one with no filler wire.(better)
You must tack with no gap then fuse. Quite a difficult job, even for someone very experienced. Use the least heat possible. Or you will get suck ins.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:54 pm 

Also the seam should be melted together on the inside of the tube. If you can still see the line where the two pieces meet, the weld didn't penetrate all the way through and is more likely to crack there in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:16 pm 

Toughest project I have ever tackled. When I look at really good welds I'm in AWE!
I did have good penetration even though the welds where built up.
I had real problems, I could not keep the joints tight enough to fusion weld, only about 40% of it could have been fusion welded, and I suck at feeding rod, and to fill the gaps It was easier for me to overfill then push the over filled puddle forward, otherwise I kept burning through. Im much better now than I was when I started that project. Needed to add more heat and move faster with less filler, still not there but better.
I almost want to get another cone kit and weld it up for fun.
I convinced I would have to weld at least a year full time 40+ hours a week under a good welder before I would be close to as as good as a lot of folks who post here.
All in all it turned out good for a guy who bought a TIG machine less than a year before this project and learned to weld off you tube :lol:

They are great pipes made a huge difference in performance from the Spec II's I was running.
They made 33 more rwhp @ 5000 rpm, averaged about a 15 rwhp gain from 4000 rpm to 8000 rpm and gained 8 rwhp on top, and have more power below 3000 rpm too!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:12 pm 

Can't get my pic to upload so this is a web shot,

I just bought one of these kit Flintlocks , pretty cool gun imop its a .50 caliber Hawken replica , one of my many firearms but the first black powder, an excellent winter project , I have some shaping and sanding plus some metal finish to do :D

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:17 am 

Is that a lyman kit or traditions? You will have a lot of fun building and shooting it. Everyone likes the blackpowder guns I got. Make sure you clean them right after shooting so you don't corrode them. I want to build the .54 to hunt elk with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:56 am 

H-nube wrote:
Is that a lyman kit or traditions? You will have a lot of fun building and shooting it. Everyone likes the blackpowder guns I got. Make sure you clean them right after shooting so you don't corrode them. I want to build the .54 to hunt elk with.

Its a Lyman and looks to be good quality it has a USA Walnut stock and the barrel is made in Italy by Pedersoli , Lyman also makes several sights that easily attach .

I've been all over YouTube gathering info on build and cleaning its strange to see that washing the barrel in water is a recommended cleaning procedure :o

First ever Black Powder can't wait to make so smoke :clap:

1974 Yamaha RD350

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226  Next