Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: You get what you pay for
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:28 pm 

Wanted a retractable air hose.

1) Years ago bought this but the shell was too small, spend 30 mins trying to line up perfect retraction otherwise it all would not fit. Bad design Craftsman.
2) Bought open reel from Home Depot. Better than Craftsman but the cheap hose cracked and leaked after a few months.
3) Bought a Goodyear hose (not cheap) - replaced the leaker.
4) After just a few years the Home Depot reel is leaking at the seal - not repairable. Bought this Goodyear one - 4 times the cost of the Home Depot but it would have been a $$$ wash compared to all the other purchases........

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:16 pm 

So I guess the Harbor freight 59 dollah unit is not a good investment???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:28 pm 

III wrote:
So I guess the Harbor freight 59 dollah unit is not a good investment???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would not go that route Steve at all :lol: :lol: :lol: I know some will, I went Craftsman cheap but you know Chicago Pneumatic will be a dismal failure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:02 pm 

My Craftsman has never been right. I still use it but it needs to be replaced. It retracts but wont lock with the hose out about 1/2 the time. I got a free one of an unknown brand recently from a garage clean out and it too was leaking at the seal. I figured out ( eventually) how to get the bolt apart and changed the oriings. I had to put a new goodyear hose on it and it now supplies air to one end of the shop... No more cheapies for me either....

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

I went with HF polyurethane hose a while back. Now that stuff is awsome! Super light, tough and very hard to kink. Light years ahead of rubber line.

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-x-5 ... 60354.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:24 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
I went with HF polyurethane hose a while back. Now that stuff is awsome! Super light, tough and very hard to kink. Light years ahead of rubber line.

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-x-5 ... 60354.html

From past experience --- The only thing I buy at Harbor Freight are one use wire brushes. Rather buy good tools preferably made in the USA like my new reel is. Sure you pay more but it's USA made and I go the extra mile for that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:02 am 
Site Admin

The air hose subject came up, and I found a great more modern and user friendly hose. Just passing on the information.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:31 am 

After having many problem.s and reliability issues with a large number of supposedly good quality retractable hose reels, I finally went the highest tech on the res, Had or Freight, the one with the crank on their sides.

The hoses, McMaster-Carr bulk quantity hose, cut to length, nice ends.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:10 am 

I also bought Goodyear hose (no reel) several years ago, never an issue.

I learned a long time ago - buy quality items, you will be happier and can be cheaper in the long run if a cheaper item is purchased and then replaced when it fails prematurely.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:03 am 

The HF Polyurethane hose may be lighter because it's smaller hose, only 1/4" ID. The usual size is 3/8" ID. It may not matter much for short runs, but if you have to go 100 feet, the small house will drop a lot of pressure when you start trying to loosen lug nuts.