Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Exhaust temp sensor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:41 am 

For sure not a save all, changing pipes can also change the temps a fair bit but in the end, temperature ranges are predictable. I rely on hearing the detonation as well. I've figured out over the years that a good percentage of guys can't hear this though. I'm not a fan of the "plug chop" I've never relied on that ever.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:32 pm 

My purpose, as usual, will be mostly "looks" just another thing to look at and wonder WTF it is telling me. :D

I think the usefulness in the head temp for a street bike is in the compiled "data" of watching them and then when something unusual happens with a temp you know you need to investigate.
I have read that most serious racers use both head temp and EGT, and the combined data can tell them a lot about how or why things are happening, racing is a whole different game on a different level.
I have a hard time hearing detonation, I think its learned trait, and my hearing is way bad now, had to get hearing aids last year so now it will be worse.

The 2 modified bikes I have are super fun and I would not go back, and I will end up with new mods on both if I keep living and liking them, they would both be better suited to average street riding I do if they were stock.
I especially like my H2 because its so easy to work on, super fun power band !!, handles averagely well, and always seems to need attention which fills my need to fix stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:08 pm 

I have never had any problems from, nor broken engines from the "plug chop" tuning methods, but have seen many others have small to completely catastrophic engine melt downs from using device readings from stuff like EGT and air/fuel ratio meters.

Of course, one does have to know how to properly read the plugs and spark plug/head, and crankcase temperatures to get the engine right using those methods. Most people buy into the "artificial device, instead of thinking" methods, and get exactly what they don't 't want, an engine not even tuned close, but right over the ragged edge.

Nobody is saying to use one way over another, do as you wish.

For me, in seeing the results from various other/artificial device methods in final tuning efforts,h I'll stick to what I have proven to myself to work, plug chop, spark plug/head, and crankcase temperature reports do well for me, without problem.

The first sentence in demus' post above says it all, just what are you looking at, and, is it right for THIS particular engine, as all engines differ, no matter how close they are built.