Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:44 pm 

I think I'm due for a new set of pistons for my '72 h2, 1st over-bore. I'm entertaining the idea of adding reeds to the motor. I've poked around the site looking for a concise post about them but it seems the information regarding the pro's/cons of converting is scattered. It looks like a few of you guys have a lot of experience with them, would someone mind filling me in on what I can expect? is it worth it? Am I going to pull my hair out re-tuning my carbs? Who makes the best conversion set?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it

03 cbr600rr
80 kz750 ltd
94 pw50

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:46 pm 

You will find the reed conversions offered here are well thought out, and work excellent.

If there was a "con", it would be kits that have too small reeds, you won't find that problem here.

Check out John Aylor's (ja-moo) products.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:05 pm 

I was considering the products that Aylor's offers, thanks for the recommendation. Also, thanks for connecting the 'Aylor Engineering - Ja-Moo' dots for me. I had seen numerous posts by Ja-Moo regarding his research of reeds but I didn't know that Aylor was his company.

03 cbr600rr
80 kz750 ltd
94 pw50

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:38 am 

Jason, many years ago I ported my H2 according to a Denco "95 HP" spec sheet, cutting the intake side piston skirts, raising the exhaust ports, and going to 34mm carbs. I loved the stronger "hit", but didn't like the noticeably weaker bottom end. I put tens of thousands of miles on it that way, never thinking much about it. In 2012 I wanted to redo the top end again, and decided to increase the port timing to the H2R specs on the resource site, and try John's reeds. My hope was to regain the bottom end I lost years before, and at least keep the peak HP I had without the reeds.

The results were amazing. The low end was way stronger than stock, and I had to deal with a slipping clutch when I hit the powerband. That was proof to me that the reeds being in there didn't hurt the top end in any amount I could notice. After riding it with the reeds at the next Deals Gap meet, I decided that first gear was unnecessarily low, and went from the stock 15/47 sprockets to 16/44. That put 4th gear almost exactly where stock 5th gear was. Now everything about the bike is more fun and more rideable. I downshift a lot less than I used to because of the 4-stroke like torque, and I don't keep trying to find another gear when I shift up to 5th. Vibration at cruising speed is way down too, but the H2 "hit" is stronger than ever. After my first test ride with the reeds, I told John that I don't plan to ever own a non-reeded H2 again.

Installing the reeds is not trivial, and you can mess up your cylinders pretty easily if you're not good with a Dremel tool, air mini die grinder, etc.. I went very slowly and succeeded, but it's pretty tricky to do a nice job if you haven't done it before. If you have doubts about that part, I'd recommend having John do the cylinder modifications, if you do decide to go the reed route.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:28 am 

I did mine myself, it wasn't terribly hdd but you will need lots of patience and I did need a touch of JB weld, it gets thin when you grind out for the reeds.
John has updated his reeds since then and the newer stage 1 for the H2 are different than the ones I used. And the stage two look really interesting!

There has been so much debate over the reeds I get gun shy, remember you are adding another component to the mix when you go to reeds so its mot just add reeds and everything just works, its still tuning a two stroke and if you are like me and soooo used to tuning a four stroke :wtf: :banghead

it is nice to be able to ride through town in 5th at 25mph, with my exhaust its a huge benefit 8-) :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:36 am 

Oh... you asked about jetting too. The only change I had to make was to go to richer pilot jets. Since the mixture isn't going back and forth through the carbs at idle any more, the pilots get only one shot at getting fuel into the air.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

You are more than welcome to call or E mail me with any specific questions. Just click on my link :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:38 am 

Thanks for the input guys, good info! Glad to hear that the jetting won't go 'off the charts', I can handle pilot jet changes.

03 cbr600rr
80 kz750 ltd
94 pw50

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:33 pm 

Jim wrote:
Oh... you asked about jetting too. The only change I had to make was to go to richer pilot jets. Since the mixture isn't going back and forth through the carbs at idle any more, the pilots get only one shot at getting fuel into the air.

Jim, do you happen to remember what size pilots you are running now? It would give me a good starting point as the ones I have in now are pretty small

03 cbr600rr
80 kz750 ltd
94 pw50

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:28 am 

I'm sorry I don't remember, and I just checked my orders and all I have is a payment record. I must have phoned the order to Mid Atlantic Cycle. I do remember that mine were on the lean side, with air screws open only about 3/4 turn before the reeds, so I went down one size and they're good now. If you're air screws are open 1-1/2 turns now, you may need two sizes smaller.

Did you check the jetting examples table on the resource site?