Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nobby Clark
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:35 pm 

If losing Gary Connors wasn't enough, we motorcyclists, and especially road racers have lost another true legend, Derek "Nobby" Clark. He was 81, and had been battling cancer for many years. He was still working on motorcycles, teaching mechanics, in New York City.

For those that aren't aware of Nobby's career, he was a crew chief, and lead mechanic on just about every World Champion's bikes for most of his motorcycling life. He was the only person that ever got the 125cc Honda inline 5 cylinder, and 247/297 Honda inline 6 cylinder road racers, and just about every version of Yamaha road racers running right.

Two and A half decades ago, Nobby and I were in garages next to each other at Daytona, he with Team Obsolete, and I with Jon Cornwell and Jeff Bratton, and we spent a lot of time at the track just talking about bikes we worked on, and the racers that rode them. It was the best Daytona I ever worked at.

A couple of more "mechanics" that would come over to "jaw" about the bikes and times were Bratton, and Kevin Cameron. I can't help but feel that the motorcycle racing community, now having Gary, and the road racing community, now with Nobby, have one heck of a bunch of racers and mechanics at those tracks in the sky. I know I will see all my racing friends when my time comes, Nobby, and a whole bunch of other friends, and we will have a lot to bench race over.

Rest in Peace, my 2 friends.

Post subject: Re: Nobby Clark
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:51 am 

an other legend gone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:49 am 

thanks for posting that Dave & letting us know

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:19 am 

Unfortunately at are age this will be a more frequent event :| It's difficult in two ways we lose a friend and are forced to face our own mortality. Thank you Dave did not know these gentleman personally but feel the lose just the same.