Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Guess what I rode
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:09 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Well it was a dyno run, and loving the story about 5-10K break in, pretty funny ;)

Obviously I'm talking about piston ring seating....not a few hundred miles breaking in bearings and the like.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Beeemer wives tail. "YEP, she's got 80,000 miles on her, she is just broke in." (add in any mileage you like actually) Any modern motor used a super fine hone process where ring break in is almost immediate, as is the rest of the motor in not many more miles. Cylinders would be glazed and blow by ridiculous if it took that many miles to "break in", and the machining would have to be crap too.

It is a humorous "tail" that the motors are so well made, and last many 100's of thousands miles. And that is correct with proper maintenance. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:47 pm 

Well, John, I was the one working on, and measuring that top end when I had it apart, not you. It was right on the money, and looked as brand new.

I've never had to tear a BMW bike engine down for any failure, nor wear issues, including bearings, rings, valve guides, not one. The only issues I ever saw on them were on the Boxers, in the rocker arm stands not being aligned correctly (easily fixed when adjusting the valves), and, the stud that held the old point ignition cams on the end of the camshaft were angled off to one side in some engines, which caused timing between cylinders to vary. A simple whacking of the stud to center it brought the timing back to same, side to side. Only chronic problem with the Boxers, rear main seal leaks.

K models, never saw one with any radical issues.

I've seen these bikes run just fine with an honest 100K miles on them, when they were maintained correctly. Getting them back to running correctly ain't hard.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Just for "future" reference and clarification, Dave, I will post a persons name or their quote, or directly be the next post after theirs if I am referring to them. :thumbup: My post wasn't referring to you at all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:15 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
509 lbs ready to ride, 107.5 rwhp............ 10.8 quarter..... nope! ;)

My bad.....fumble fingers.....the Qtr mile time is 11.8.

https://youtu.be/ts_c0z1STYY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

;) Actually the last run was 11.63........ :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:55 am 

ive heard some stories about husson73 and his friends riding their kawasakis in Paris, and im sure even if i were on a BMW S1000RR i wouldnt be able to get away from him.. :mrgreen: